This may be a silly question...(condensation in lenses)

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just thinking... I go to the Oregon coast alot; Its VERY moist..wet..rainy...misty..muggy.,. ( You name it..lol) so im concerned with moisture getting into lenses.. and whichever way it may ruin them.

My next trip wont be to far away and i have an entirely different camera set up now.. from point and shoot -----to slr. Before i didnt care if something happened to the Coolpix cam. But lense and stuff are spendy... so i want to make sure i dont screw this up ( hopefully its fool proof. lol )

So while shooting in moist areas--with fog-rain-marine layers-etc-- or ON the beach... with the salt in the air etc...

How do you keep the camera/lenses from getting condensation or mold and mildew...or anything mishaps in weather changes??????
:confused:

Most lenses can handle a little bit of humidity and moisture in the air, but the better the lens the better the weather sealing. The pro quality lenses offer the best weather sealing (and other benefits) but you pay for it. If you're shooting in areas with a lot of water spray or in rain a quick and easy way to protect the lens from the drops is to use a ziplock or other type of bag to cover up everything but the front element. As for moisture in the air, the bag will help keep condensation from forming on the outside of the lens but for the most part the weather sealing should be ok for fog/humid conditions. Also if you're bring the camera from a cold wet environment into someplace warm it'd be ideal to put the entire camera and lens in a seal-able plastic bag before you change locations (i.e. coming in from the rainy cold day into a warm house) and let the camera come to room temp before opening the bag. That keeps condensation from forming on or inside the camera.

I don't have all the answers though so hopefully someone else who knows more than me on this stuff will chime in with any other pointers.

I am going to assume, but my hunting scopes are filled with gas to prevent moisture/condensation on the inside. I am going to guess camera lenses may be the same. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

Last edited:
You don't have weather sealed gear..... put a condom on them for protection if the mist is heavy or if she's saying "c'mere big boy".... Meaning, get a black sack along with some gaffers tape and fashion it around your gear to prevent moisture from entering the exposed connections. I would suggest using the Search function for more threads concerning this very situation (think weather seal). There are companies that cater products for this, but unfortunately...... I can't remember right now which ones are on my top list. Their contrapsions will fit most any dSLR with lenses ranging up to 200mm and then some. But at the end of the day.... a black sack works fine for a short outing.

I am going to assume, but my hunting scopes are filled with gas to prevent moisture/condensation on the inside. I am going to guess camera lenses may be the same. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

No, they are considerably different, the rifel Scope does not have the moving parts or the electronics that a modern camera lens has.

No, they are considerably different, the rifel Scope does not have the moving parts or the electronics that a modern camera lens has.

Makes sense, thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

Keith........

Can you think of any rhyme or reason for the thanks BS? Obviously a rifel scope is different than a camera lens. I think I might check out HuntersRUs for playtime.

Maybe it's just me......... condensation works on many different apparattuses........................ I digress............................. NO, phuque it, I still don't understand............... <walks back into cave> Hrrrumph

Um I live in Oregon and haven't had a problem with the moisture. Then again, I don't shoot in waterfalls.

Keith........

Can you think of any rhyme or reason for the thanks BS? Obviously a rifel scope is different than a camera lens. I think I might check out HuntersRUs for playtime.

Maybe it's just me......... condensation works on many different apparattuses........................ I digress............................. NO, phuque it, I still don't understand............... <walks back into cave> Hrrrumph

Since it seems to matter to you, I thanked him for correcting me. For what it's worth, my Bushnell DOA Rifle scope is filled with dry nitrogen to help prevent fogging and condensation. So I thought that the same technology may have applied to camera lenses. So I was wrong, big deal.

Last edited:
Um I live in Oregon and haven't had a problem with the moisture. Then again, I don't shoot in waterfalls.

It would be around North bend, coos bay bandon---that area of the coast. I just wasn't sure. Better to be safe then throw all that money down the drain. Ya know?

It would be around North bend, coos bay bandon---that area of the coast. I just wasn't sure. Better to be safe then throw all that money down the drain. Ya know?

Oh I understand. Not sure how much different the coast is, I'm about 2 hours from Coos Bay.

Keep one or two of these in your camera bag;

Archival Methods | Desiccant Canisters (Metal Case) | 53-001
:thumbup:

A little moisture/humidity shouldn't hurt a lens, but you certainly don't want too much of it and you don't want it to sit in your gear where it could promote mold/fungus growth. (don't put your wet gear in a sealed up bag and leave it for a long time).
That's why I keep desiccant in my camera bags.

Keep one or two of these in your camera bag;

Archival Methods | Desiccant Canisters (Metal Case) | 53-001http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...thods_53_002_Desiccant_Canisters_Plastic.html

When it turns pink you pop it an oven for awhile to evapoate the moisture and it's ready to go again, and again, and again, and again..........

I keep soft desiccant packs in almost all of my rear lens caps. But I am thinking about giving this stuff a try. I'd be able to get those into some of the smaller caps more efficiently and not worry about them comming free right next to the rear element.

Keith........

I did not think the question was really that innappropriate, I mean one major scope manufacturer of rifel scopes did have a line of camera lenses, Damn fine lenses if I do say so to. That would promote the concept that they are not all that different to those who are less knowledgable on the tools.

Last edited:
Photographing in the rain is a big issue where I live in the New Orleans area as well--we're subtropical and have to deal with lots of rain. I carry an umbrella and old bath towel, first of all, since keeping the moisture from getting a change to sit and seap into your gear is your first line of defense. If it's really bad, you should outfit yourself with rain socks. I like the ones made by Fotosharp, which is a little company right in Seattle. Check it out!

Andrew
The Discerning Photographer

Most reactions

Back