This might be a better place-Film

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Canon EOS 650 and I was wondering what would be good film to start with. I'd like to do more night time stuff and slow exposure stuff, but for now I want to get used to using film, rather than a digital point and shoot. Which film ISO or, brand should I look into for just starting out?

For night time stuff...you will probably want a slower film...like ISO 100. You should be on a tripod anyway...so faster film will only make it more grainy. Actually, with film you will run into something called reciprocity failure...which may change how sensitive the film is. You may be able to look up some specific films to find out their properties.

As for brand of film...to get started, I would buy what ever your lab is used to seeing. You could try different films or you could stick with one type and get used to it...it's up to you. ISO 400 is an all around film...and ISO 100 would be my choice for sunny outdoor or landscape shooting.

I mostly use Fuji 400. You better get a tripod and shutter realese cable too. For taking pictures at night my shutter speeds range from 3" to 30". Depending on the light and flm speed. I have used 200 and 100 as well.
Cosmo

Ok, any tripod or shutter release cable suggestions?

Thanks. It seems like the shutter release cables are made for a certain camera.. I'm having a hard time with finding one on Ebay for the Canon EOS 650...are all cables only made for certain models and if so, where can I find one of my camera?

Unless Canon has pulled a fast one to pick your pocket [special fitting or some such nonsense], any cable release will do.

A lot of modern cameras use electronic shutter release cables, so you need the compatible cable for the camera. If your shutter button has a threaded hole in the middle for a standard cable release, that's all you need. If there's no hole, I would try to google your camera and find out which cable you need, perhaps there's info on Canon's site?

Dave

You can also use a mirror lockup and/or the timer.

If you're shooting at night, adjust your exposure to 5+ seconds and you don't really need anything besides the timer at all.

Thanks all! I did find something that will suit my camera.

I got my cable release at B&H photo video and my tripod at a yard sale for $5.00. Seems like all yard sales around my area have an old tread mill and a tripod.LOL You don't have to have a release if you can use your timer in the dark...
Cosmo

Torus34 said:
Unless Canon has pulled a fast one to pick your pocket [special fitting or some such nonsense], any cable release will do.

All Canon cameras from the 1980s T-series (with FD lenses) right up to modern EOS cameras use a special electronic cable release, not the manual screw-thread cable release.

Jamespetts;

Aha! Thank you for the information. With the exception of one new digital, my rigs are pre-1980. Once 35mm SLRs had reached the stage of development where a split-image RF was added to the viewing screen, I no longer needed more whistles and bells and stopped considering 'upgrades.'

Most reactions

New Topics

Back