this might sound like a stupid question...

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
do they still make new Medium Format cameras? Sorry if it sounds silly.... Well I was out at a war protest and saw this lady walking around carrying a camera that wasn't a 35mm SLR. I don't know much about TLRs or all cameras to be honest, but the camera she was carrying around looked pretty new and it looked like the type that you hold against your body and you look down into it to focus. Does that make sense? :confused:

Anyway, thanks for your time...

thanks... it was definitely one of those! didnt see the brand...but definitely one of the medium formats.... haha i know that doesnt narrow it down much...

Did it have two lenses and look something like this?...

Rf28fx_b01.jpg

That would be a TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) camera, most likely using a 6x6cm negative (there are also smaller 4x4 TLRs and ones handling larger negatives but 6x6 is the most common). If you are interested in medium format, TLRs are one of the cheapest ways to get into it (there are also folding cameras which are generally even cheaper but the lenses tend to be slower).

If it only had the one lens, then it was probably a medium format SLR and she was using the waist-level finder.

It may have been a camera that is still in production, or it may have been one several decades old that was simply in good condition (unless by 'looked pretty new' you mean it appeared to have autofocus and/or various other electronic functions). Either way, assuming you are interested in medium format, you don't have to buy a new one. There are plenty of great older cameras, often with fantastic lenses, which still work perfectly and can be found on eBay or in camera stores for a fraction of the price they would have cost even a couple of years ago. Medium format is a huge area covering several different negative sizes and various camera systems (such as SLR, TLR, rangefinder) so there is plenty to explore, and now is an excellent time to do it.

it only had one lens... but i am interested in them. really don't think i could afford it right now, and still trying to learn about the cameras i have now... ehehh slow process...but would love to get into them one day...

You could get a medium format camera for $20 :thumbup: ... but admittedly there is the cost of film and processing/scanning... the problem is shooting medium format is addictive :lol:

You could get a medium format camera for $20 :thumbup: ... but admittedly there is the cost of film and processing/scanning... the problem is shooting medium format is addictive :lol:

I want a $20 medium format! Where will i find one??? Damn school loans sucking me dry.....

holga makes medium format cameras for 20 bucks. adorama or bhphotovideo.com

do they still make new Medium Format cameras? Sorry if it sounds silly.... Well I was out at a war protest and saw this lady walking around carrying a camera that wasn't a 35mm SLR. I don't know much about TLRs or all cameras to be honest, but the camera she was carrying around looked pretty new and it looked like the type that you hold against your body and you look down into it to focus. Does that make sense? :confused:

Anyway, thanks for your time...
There are plenty of people around here to answer your questions, so I'm glad you asked even though you felt silly! Next time, don't even hesitate, this is how we learn. :)

I'm also willing to bet if you'd politely approached the woman in question and asked her about her camera, you'd have discovered a kindred spirit who would have happily told you all about it! ;)

I want a $20 medium format! Where will i find one??? Damn school loans sucking me dry.....

I bought my first Ansco Titan 6x6 folder for $15. It was pretty banged up, and I had to patch some holes in the bellows with nail polish, but it took great photos. I've since bought several cleaner models in much better condition, and I paid under $50 for several of them.

Go to the vintage camera section on Ebay, choose "by type", then look through "folding", "box", and "TLR". There are loads of medium format cameras going for less than $30. Some may have their quirks, most will not have a built in meter, and many will require some practice to figure out how to get the best out of them, but they are capable of taking high quality photos. If you are willing to reroll 120 film onto 620 spools there are some wonderful cameras going very cheap.

whoa... that is pretty cheap...i thought theyd be somewhere in the thousands... hmmm... i hate visiting ebay because i end up bidding on things i dont really need - then it just become a contest of "I want to win...i dont care what the product is anymore...i just want to win"
hahaha...

Most reactions

Back