This or that

eswebster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I get this "Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS mark I" or that "Canon 70-200mm 2.8 and Canon 50mm 1.4"? The only other lens I have is a Tokina 16-28 2.8.

Shooting a 5D mark II.... primarily landscape but would like to do more portraits and other shots with the family.

IS won't matter for sports as your shutter speeds should be high enough it isn't necessary. Not to get you off the subject but how do you like your 16-28?

Forget the sports bit, mixed up my threads. IS can be handy for your needs.

The Tokina is great, amazingly sharp corner to corner and wide open. Biggest problem is flare, if you can bracket and get your finger in one of the images to block the source of light it works pretty damn good.... but a little janky. I would buy it again for sure.

So you're asking if you should get one lens, or two lenses? If your budget can afford it, get both.

I'd definitely go with the 50 + non-IS 70-200 f2.8. In my opinion, having only your 16-28 and 70-200 (option 1) would leave too large a 'gap' in your focal lengths, especially for indoor work.

The 50 f1.4 would become the 'go to' lens for most indoor work and fill that 'gap' as well.

For what it's worth, I use a non-IS 80-200 f2.8 lens indoors and just make sure my shutter speeds are fast enough to stop my old-age hand unsteadiness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back