This softbox... but with my strobe..

giorgio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I'm checking to buy some extra equipment besides the lens I'm about to purchase.

Is it possible to purchase any softbox regardless if is for monolights(which I don't have and not interested) and manage to set it up with a Strobe on a light stand?
Would some stuff from HomeDepot do the trick?

A found this one...
SB1670 Flashpoint II 16" x 70", 40cm x 180cm, Softbox for all Model II Monolights.

Is just that there are a lot of options and is hard for me to..., first, knowing the english terms, parts names and stuff needed to even search'em on the store's website.

I have seen some hardware to put a Flash on a Softbox, that stuff is like more than 100usd., and the SoftBox needs to be designed for Speedlights or so.

I mean, I already have the strobes.. and I see a good size 60usd Softbox, and not being able to use them together without spending another 100usd is kind of disapointing.

If I still buy a softbox regardless its strobe aiming, would I be able to "attach" it some how to my strobe(or viceversa) and having them on my light stands.?
My strobe + 60usd softbox + my stand, that's all I need.

:D

I think you need a softbox that has a "Strobe Mount Connector" or "Strobe Connector" option. The one shown is designed for use with the Adorama FlashPoint monolights, which have a round reflector, of the standard monolight style.

Most softboxes designed for studio lights use either a dedicated "speed ring", specified as Bowens-type, Speedotron, Profoto, Balcar, Alien Bee, White Lighting, and so on. If a softbox mentions a "speed ring", it usually will NOT work with a speedlight like Nikon SB 800 or Canon 580 EX,etc.

Softboxes actually designed for use with speedlight type flashes will often be shown WITH the mounting system and a speedlight in position, to convey to the buyer that the box is actually designed to be used with a speedlight. So, I would look for a softbox that offers a "strobe mount connector" option listed clearly in the specifications.

The Mini Apollo for example is designed for use with shoe-mount flashes. It is not very large, but it will show the type of strobe connector I am talking about.

EDIT: I did a search and found this Strobist article on how to modify a typical "speed ring", shown in the article, to allow the use of a speedlight flash. http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/07/diy-ball-bungee-speedlight-soft-box.html

I think you need a softbox that has a "Strobe Mount Connector" or "Strobe Connector" option. The one shown is designed for use with the Adorama FlashPoint monolights, which have a round reflector, of the standard monolight style.

Most softboxes designed for studio lights use either a dedicated "speed ring", specified as Bowens-type, Speedotron, Profoto, Balcar, Alien Bee, White Lighting, and so on. If a softbox mentions a "speed ring", it usually will NOT work with a speedlight like Nikon SB 800 or Canon 580 EX,etc.

Softboxes actually designed for use with speedlight type flashes will often be shown WITH the mounting system and a speedlight in position, to convey to the buyer that the box is actually designed to be used with a speedlight. So, I would look for a softbox that offers a "strobe mount connector" option listed clearly in the specifications.

The Mini Apollo for example is designed for use with shoe-mount flashes. It is not very large, but it will show the type of strobe connector I am talking about.

EDIT: I did a search and found this Strobist article on how to modify a typical "speed ring", shown in the article, to allow the use of a speedlight flash. Strobist: DIY Ball-Bungee Speedlight Soft Box Mount

I see, I'm pretty much tempted to buy a Softbox regardless is for continuos light, just because I think there must be a simple way to put the Strobe on the ring aperture.
Just like the article you mentioned.

Now that I'm checking again this Softbox in particular, first, it says it is 70''..??, that's like taller than me! so it is a really big softbox unless I'm missing something
I may look for another one smaller.

Also, picture doesn't show how is its back setup, I might as well gonna need an aditional mounting ring like the one in the article you posted.

Thank you very much Derrel
:thumbup:

Thanks for doing all the work for us Derrell. It is ironic that I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to rig something to work and accomplish this. I guarantee I will have it rigged up and ready to go tomorrow after a trip to the hardware store.

You are the man!

Most reactions

Back