This week’s challenge 7/11 - 7/17 Foreground interest

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, use the foreground to enhance your photo. Foregrounds are a valuable compositional tool that can add depth, provide an entry point for the viewer, lead the eye to the subject and set the overall tone for the image. Foreground objects can be found organically or can be “set up” by the photographer. Placing a bright red leaf on a rock in the foreground of a fall scene is a common example. Some schools of thought see this as cheating in nature/landscape photography. You can make your own decision on whether or not you want to manufacture the scene or find an organic foreground. You do you.

As always, new photos only for the challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

How to Use Foreground to Create Depth in Your Images

Tips on How To Use Foreground Elements in Your Compositions

How to Use a Foreground to Create Depth

Ok, I'll go first. This challenge, for me, is super hard. I had a couple of shots I liked but they were more "leading lines in nature.

Saw this on the drive today. Not quite what I had in mind but I've passed this fork in the road many times and this was an excuse to shoot it. The sign is fine for a foreground object but it needs a middle and background. Still looking.

20200711163126_IMG_9213-01_copy_1499x999.jpeg

Everyone's submission is so good. Here is the closest thing from yesterday's roll. Yuma territorial prison in the background opened in 1876. Spooky when I go in the cells.

bLNT0Eo.jpg

@fishing4sanity I wish you had put some text above the image even if just a sing word as it is hard to quote the image. Yours is what I had in mind: A prominent foreground image that is related to or in contrast with one or more images in the background. Also, nice color contrast throughout.

Most reactions

Back