Thorhammer and Iron Flatline go to Downtown Los Angeles

The B&W photograph of a man and his hat is deffinatly a picture worth framing. I've seen worse photographs in the Black and White photography magazines portfolio section. You should try sending in a few. I believe they pay £50 to anyone who ends up in the portfolio section.

Iron,

That B&W is fantastic. do you use the normal channel mixer method?

Or do you do it in raw?

I really like it.

Yes, It was a lot of fun.

OMG there are 2 of us thors....we must unite and rule the world.

Heres the story of the lens hood;

I left my bag open for like 20 seconds on the couch while putting my freshly
charged batteries into the camera. This was enough time for my daughter to grab my 28-75 and take off the hood and run off with it.

So, naturally when I opened my bag and found no hood .. i grabbed the canon hood from the 300 and duct taped it to the polarizer.
Cool thing is I could use the hood to rotate my polarizer.

I think Im gonna drill a slot in the botom of my regular hood so I can rotate the polarizer easily.

I got some vignetting in some pics, but its better than having the contrast totally blown out from no hood.. Iron is right,the light was really bright in a weird way....

When I got home the lens hood was on the kitchen table as my wife secured the contraband for my return !!!

I didnt get a lot of the shots I wanted to to come out. But still it was a very interesting and fun time. I feel we documented some interesting stuff.

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

Hey, a mini-meet-up. Cool! :D

And some very nice photos for us to see - now where are the photos that you took of yourselves, photogapher taking photo of being photographed and all that? And the TPF salute and all those elements that must not be missed on ANY meet-up, ANY!?!? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Of all the photos shown here so far, I like the b&w of the man with the hat best of all, Iron (!), even though you might prefer to work in colour (and the colour and narrowness, and fumes, and rubbish and all that is to be seen in that narrow alleyway ARE very good, absolute runner-up to the Man With His Hat).

And Thorhammer, the most fascinating (to me) of your series are the last and #6. Strong graphical elements ... I like that!! :D (Once that's there, photo don't even have to have any green in them :greenpbl::biggrin: ).

thanks !!

I have one or 2 decent shots of Iron I can post, if he doesn’t mind.
Ill shoot them to him first for critique... lol
I just haven’t worked up all of the shots yet.

This has awakened a lot of creative juices inside. I now want to
go right up to people and shoot them.

I come from a landscape background, and when I do portraits there commissioned, so it’s hard to get rid of that consciousness and decide
to get in tight and take a shot that they didn’t come to you to take, or necessarily want you to take....

I really enjoy feeling this part of me awaken; I guess it’s the part that journalists rely on to get their shots. I didn’t really get in the zone on this last shoot for people shots, but I think next time I go to LA there’s a lot of people shots I want to try out.

Go ahead and post shots of me - I just want hi-res copies at some point so I can show my wife proof.

"Sweetie, I'm going to a really seedy part of downtown to meet a guy I met on the internet." Holy crap, can you imagine one of your kids saying that to you?!?

LOL.

Anyway, I'm about to post some more shots as well.

Thorhammer and I are planning another meet-up. I guess we can plant a thread in the meet-up forum when we get closer, but the idea is to go out to the Salton Sea (where the local high school football team is called The Tweakers and the the mascot is "Crumble the Meth-Mouth Bear") to shoot some really extreme landscapes. More about that later, but we're targeting late February. If we do another downtown meet-up, we'll let people know, but I get the feeling more than two or three people brings a whole different energy to that kind of shooting.

My version of the Lucha masks, highly saturated due to the Velvia processing - as well as dodged newspaper stuffing and burnt background:

Downtown%20LA%20with%20Thorhammer038%20-%20Velvia%20cropped.jpg

The City National Bank building on Pershing Square:

Downtown%20LA%20with%20Thorhammer104.jpg

Man catching Zzzs under the Pershing Square Waterfall...

I took this before Thorhammer got there. Traffic on 12/24 as bad as you could imagine.

Downtown%20LA%20with%20Thorhammer007.jpg

I would like to see what a lower angle would have looked like on that last one. Almost where the waterfall is falling on him. Yep, that would be cool.

Props to you guys for being brave enough to do some real street photography. I really like the man in the hat and Thor's #11. Great stuff.

Most reactions

Back