No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lostlabours.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Still to arrive:

upload_2019-8-23_7-54-20.png

An early version of the Focal Plane Imperial, essentially the same as a Triple Imperial but with a Focal Plane shutter as well as a Between Lens front mounted shutter. Made between about 1907 and 1914.

This will be my next restoration project, the front shutter works but I'll fit a new blind anyway, and also restore the rear shutter, until I take the shutter to bits I won't know whether it;s the 1907 or 1908 version. The 1907 version has a one slit Focal Plane shutter with speeds of 1/100 to 1/500. the 1908 has 1/20 to 1/1000 and has three slits.

Should be fun to restore.

Ian

What an interesting looking piece of kit..................

Can't wait to see the restored version. Looks like fun.

Actually I've already restored a Thornton Pickard Imperial which is just waiting for new bellows. The camera here is a Triple Extension Imperial, the other has double extension which is the more typical standard.

Triple Extension with this half plate Imperial is 222", that equates approx to 3x a typical standard focal length lens for the format.. I have various brass lenses but the most appropriate is a Thornton Pickard Beck RR, and I also have tripod legs.

I also have a few TP Ruby Reflex cameras, however I mostly go for Houghton/Ensign equipment

Ian

I have a battered Thornton Field Camera being sent from my sister in the UK. From the images I’ve seen it looks like it comes with spiders webs and all sorts. I do hope she removed the bugs so it does not get caught in customs.
Will be restoring that once I’ve had a good look at what it is.
Looks like the bellows would be beyond repair, but I managed to acquire two nice original bellow sets in a box of junk I bought, which turned out to be a good box of stuff.

I'm a little familiar with Thornton Pickard and Houghton Ensign but never see those here.

I wonder what would happen with a spider going thru customs?! lol D'ya think they'd scan it or whack it going thru a metal detector?

They are insanely strict at customs here in New Zealand. When we moved here we had to scrub all our shoes a garden tools. Weren't even allowed to bring our Christmas decs. I do hope she removed any critters or I could end up with a bill for fumigation.

Most reactions

Back