Thought you guys would enjoy this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Kim Street Photography Workshops ? Eric Kim Street Photography

This week he's teaching workshops in Istanbul, then moving on to San Francisco. His street shooting seems very weird to me. Typically almost confrontational, aggressive, invasive. Very annoying when seen on videos on the web.

More photographers eating their young.

14. Spend less time looking at other people's work and more time shooting your own.

Unless they're my photos and you paid me to teach you to shoot photos just like me.

Last edited:
Eric Kim Street Photography Workshops ? Eric Kim Street Photography

This week he's teaching workshops in Istanbul, then moving on to San Francisco. His street shooting seems very weird to me. Typically almost confrontational, aggressive, invasive. Very annoying when seen on videos on the web.

You just don't understand street photography.

You need to "Be a part of a scene while taking a photo; not a voyeur," but "blend in with the environment" and "Carry your camera with you everywhere. Everywhere," but "Don't take your DSLR to parties."

Follow these simple rules and you too will have a collection of photos of people trying to cover their faces.

It seems a bit contradictory in parts but there are some good points in there somewhere, I'm sure.

#13 is a howler, though. For me, the choice of glass is crucial and you should always use the best lenses you can afford. Crappy lenses render shltty photos. Period.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Those first two are things which can be read on this forum every single day...

Really? Where on TPF are you finding anyone who says, "Shoot raw only"?

What suggestions, specifically, are you guys finding so objectionable?

Okay,

2. Always shoot in RAW. Always.
There are situations where this is just flat out wrong. For instance, if I am running out of space on my last card while mountaineering in the jungle, or if I'm a sports photographer who needs to fire off a burst of shots and then have them automatically uploaded to a commentator or other media team member within seconds of me shooting them (thus the 1/5 the space matters for bandwidth and the jpeg is easier to open and comment on quickly) Etc. etc. There's a reason pro cameras still have jpeg options.

5. The rule of thirds works 99% of the time.
Perhaps technically true (that it would WORK), but misleading, in that it wouldn't be the best option that often. Encouraging people to not bother thinking about their composition is not a great tip.

6. Macro photography isn't for everybody.
Wtf is the point of this one? Is the goal to just randomly shame people who are into macro photography?

7. UV filters work just as well as lens caps.
Hopefully I don't have to explain why this one is dumb.

10. Film isn't better than digital.
11. Digital isn't better than film.
Is the writer writing an Eastern philosophy text, or actually trying to give useful photography advice? Because this just confuses needlessly without offering any useful information.
Yes, both have their advantages, but if you don't SAY WHAT THEY ARE, then you've accomplished nothing but frustrating readers.

13. Better lenses don't give you better photos.
Yes, they do.

21. Ditch the neck strap and get a handstrap.
???

About midway down they actually start getting much mroe reasonable, admittedly.

I enjoyed the "rule of thirds works 99% of the time" from a guy who linked this video: on his web site.

It's like he didn't watch the video at all..

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't make any sense to me. Those first two are things which can be read on this forum every single day...

Really? Where on TPF are you finding anyone who says, "Shoot raw only"?

Perhaps people aren't saying to only shoot raw, but there's no shortage of people here who only shoot raw.

So why is it objectionable if someone suggests doing that which is done all the time?

Good, I'm glad most of you didn't get to number 8. :wink:

There are situations where this is just flat out wrong. For instance, if I am running out of space on my last card while mountaineering in the jungle, or if I'm a sports photographer who needs to fire off a burst of shots and then have them automatically uploaded to a commentator or other media team member within seconds of me shooting them (thus the 1/5 the space matters for bandwidth and the jpeg is easier to open and comment on quickly) Etc. etc. There's a reason pro cameras still have jpeg options.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are people here who only shoot in raw, and are always quick to defend it. I see nothing wrong with the suggestion he made. I may not agree with it, but that's his opinion, and only an opinion...

Perhaps technically true (that it would WORK), but misleading, in that it wouldn't be the best option that often. Encouraging people to not bother thinking about their composition is not a great tip.

If his statement is technically true, than there's no real problem with him making it. I don't see how it encourages people to not think about composition...

Wtf is the point of this one? Is the goal to just randomly shame people who are into macro photography?

No, probably just those who do it poorly...

Well, if I were to lose my lens cap, and I was in an environment in which I'd want my front element protected, you can bet your last dollar that I'd be screwing a UV filter on instead of leaving the element exposed. For me, UV filters are largely worthless...

Is the writer writing an Eastern philosophy text, or actually trying to give useful photography advice? Because this just confuses needlessly without offering any useful information.
Yes, both have their advantages, but if you don't SAY WHAT THEY ARE, then you've accomplished nothing but frustrating readers.

You're reading waaaaay too much into his statement. He didn't say each had its advantages. He's simply saying that they're different, and they are...

Yes, they do.

Give me and my 7 year old nephew the same body, and give me a Quantaray lens and him an L-Series lens, and I'm getting the better image. The way I read his comment is that if someone's a poor photographer, a better lens isn't going to magically cause that person to become a better photographer. He'll just be a poor photographer with a better lens...

???

Personal preference. Hardly something to get your skivvies twisted over...

Here's a tip: stop defending a rediculous tip list.

Okay,

Yes, they do.

???

About midway down they actually start getting much mroe reasonable, admittedly.

Shoulder strap! Black rapid. That's where it's at. I'd be nervous with a hand strap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back