Thoughts on CD/DVD only services....

I have been getting this band calling me about once a year for pictures. I spend less then an hour taking pictures (group and individual) and give them a CD. These are not high res. They use the pictures for their website and band fliers. I charged $250. I am trying to get more bands.

Steve

Usually of their child. For bridals, we have a higher sitting fee, and usually do lower print sales.

April has the right idea...

The problem many photographers have is that they approach their business as if they're the customer. "I'd never pay $x for pics of my kid..." But, odds are, you're no your target market.

Mike, or anyone with some thoughts on this. This has been my problem. I think like this but I don't want to price people like myself out. I am in a Military community. A lot of Photographers' target market out here is the Officer families. I am an enlisted family, therefore, lower income. I don't want to price myself so low that everyone is flocking to my mobile on location 'walmart' but I don't want to price out the higher end enlisted families, like my own. I am not really interested in the Officer set, others have them covered!.I guess what I am trying to say is I want to be right in the middle, I am my target market! I hope I am making sense, it is way past my bedtime :eek:) P
Any advice greatly received, my photos are here

I offer my digital negs for sale, and I price them where I can be happy. $100 for the files from a session is NOT a happy price for me:) Closer to $1,000 or more is what I'd actually charge.

Twenty years ago.... we (pros in my state) felt a good starting point for the sale of ALL negatives from a session or event would be about the same as the price of an 8x10. So, if I shot 20 negs of a portrait session, and my price back then for portrait prints was $65... I would consider selling my negs for $1300, only if the client bought ALL the negs. If they were requesting only one neg form the session... still $1300. AND... I would consider this only after getting a print order.

I'm not in business to sell negatives.

*Mike* spelled it out quite well. If I'm gonna sell files, I would never do it for less than what I get from an average order.

-Pete

There are arguments that go every which way and they're all valid.

The big thing is that what might do well in Rangoon might not be what people need in New York, Taipai or Moscow.

My Sunday Bridal Shower wants a CD of the images. I'm fine with that. Other people want prints. That's a pain in the rear but I'll do it. I would very much prefer to do the shooting, go to my car, upload the images to my laptop, edit the exposures on the spot, convert to Jpeg and burn a DVD before leaving the spot then hand over the DVD and driving away, money in the bank and a happy client.

Hey Dave, an ukreal1, sorry missed your questions... I wasn't staying on top of this thread. But, to be honest, those are huge questions!

I'd be happy to jump in, but I'd really suggest starting a new thread for the discussion. My perspective, it is about intentionality. What do you want your business to look like? Your clients to look like? Ad then start building everything around those points... Great reason for a business plan.

I realize that's really shallow answer, but it's a big question! I can ramble on for hours about this stuff... Start a new thread! :eek:)

I've found it works best to offer both prints and CDs and do different packages for each. People do seem to still want both.

Lynn

Most reactions

Back