Thoughts on "Color Splash"?

Not a fan of selective coloring. Like other said it rarely looks good but I think it's a phase pretty much all new photogs go through.

When I was a teenager, I saw images like these at a poster display in a local drug store:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-pJzfSCdigg/TDXSAiOkwHI/AAAAAAAABIY/5r2uQ0rxy90/s1600/kids-kiss.jpg

That was enough for me. I have very, very rarely seen this effect used for anything short of novelty. Possible? Perhaps, but so seldom appropriate.

ETA:
The above post is no different IMO.

That's the thing about art, just because you don't like it doesn't make it invalid.

Though under this mentality, just because you like art doesn't mean it is valid either. This is why using the audiences' opinion about art is not a good definition.

See this post 82 and 141 on this thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/265881-sharpness-overrated-6.html#post2422771

Last edited:
Wow, I'm surprised that HDR hasn't been brought into this yet! Or abstract or B&W, or Sepia or ..................

It's all subjective

I am not sure that it needs to be subjective but I think we have too narrow a definition of what art is. We tend to look at things and say "how is this not art" and not "how it is art". People tend to be very exclusive in their reasoning, which makes sense when you're asking yourself "how is that lion not the grass" rather than "how is that grass not a lion?" If you're looking at everything inclusively, you'll get eaten.

What is subjective is how successful art is. This is based on our individual world view which is shaped by our unique experiences.

Wow, I'm surprised that HDR hasn't been brought into this yet! Or abstract or B&W, or Sepia or ..................

It's all subjective

You're right; that's the great thing about art. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

My feelings on HDR: cool when it's done right. Which like SC is very rarely.

B/W and Sepia aren't used to take away from the subject. Using either though, requires better use of light than color, IMO.

black and white is useful for conveying formal relationships where color might be distracting.

sepia ... ehm. It makes it look old timey?

I think it's OK for every now & then.

I took this shot the very 1st day I got my camera.

068.jpg

People who say selective color is stupid and shouldn't be used are akin to those who said digital is stupid and only film photography is "art". Selective color is a tool, and any tool when done too much can become passe or lose it's impact. I've taken tens of thousands of images and I can count on one hand the number that I've used selective color on, this one being one of my favorites:

Focus on Protection by adversus.us, on Flickr

I think that when done in a way that isn't painfully obvious like this: Apple & Water - Keeps you Healthy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Otherwise, I think it's generally used incorrectly. It's used for emphasis, but some photos just...don't have a strong enough emphasis to warrant its use. Like this photos above. Yes, the yellow helmet was probably one of the most brightly colored objects in the scene, but why draw attention to it? What makes it any more important than the other elements? You obviously thought that the yellow helmet was the strongest point in the image, but what is it about the image that makes THAT particular element so much more important.

That's why I think people use it incorrectly. They see an area with a lot of contrast, and they selectively color it. But when the viewer sees it the first thought is "why is that selectively colored? The selective color doesn't complement. It brings emphasis to a boring photo element.

Selective coloring has been abused by emphasizing non-important, or boring photos. That's why I dislike it.

Wow this is why I love this forum. I didn't expect all of these responses but I am extremely thankful for them. I have a much better understanding of the use for Selective Coloring now, and know that it's often not used correctly and is sometimes viewed as being over used. I do feel that the best use of it would be in advertisements where they purposely draw attention to one object in a scene to make people want it.

Thanks again everyone!

Thomas

Most reactions

Back