Thoughts on these two lenses

Fender5388

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Amazon.com: Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo nikon 85mm 1.8

Amazon.com: Rokinon 85MAF-N 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Nikon with Automatic Chip (Black): Electronics Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I have done my research on the two lenses. Looked at reviews on build quality and such.

I'm wondering if anyone here as personal experience with either or both of these. Is nikon worth the extra money, or can the rokinon hold its own?

i already shoot with an 8mm fish. nikon 28mm 2.8, and a nikon 50mm 1.8. I'm looking for a little more reach for a decent price as I'm in college. I primarily shoot bmx, street, and portraits.

Thanks in advance for your help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You do understand that the Rokinon will not autofocus on your camera, right?

That being said, I actually believe the Rokinon surpasses the Nikon as far as quality and blows the Nikon out of the water in terms of value for the dollar. But that is for posed portraits. I think you would have a difficult time using such a lens in BMX or Street capacities.

the one that i posted as the automatic chip in it, so as far as i understand that lens will auto focus on my camera. I currently shoot with a 50 on a crop sensor and i wanted the 85mm for my 35mm as well for street, as i think it should give me around the same view. and i wanted to experiment with a longer lens for my bmx photos. thanks for the feedback! i appreciate it.

the one that i posted as the automatic chip in it, so as far as i understand that lens will auto focus on my camera. I currently shoot with a 50 on a crop sensor and i wanted the 85mm for my 35mm as well for street, as i think it should give me around the same view. and i wanted to experiment with a longer lens for my bmx photos. thanks for the feedback! i appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure the chip just allows your meter to get exposure data.

You still have to set your aperture and focus manually. To be honest, it's not a lens I am incredibly familiar with but I am fairly positive it is manual focus and that you have to manually set the aperture.

I'm not saying that's a deal breaker. For me, it wouldn't be. For you, and the style of shooting you asked about, it may be.

Just looked up the lens on the link you posted. The info I gave was accurate. It will not autofocus and you have to set the aperture manually. The chip gives your camera meter exposure data. Again, for me, not a deal breaker. For the type of shooting you want to do, it may prove difficult.

"There is also a slightly more expensive version (Model # 85MAF-N) for Nikon that features a built-in focus confirm chip" this was the sentence that made me think that.

I have used manual focus for bmx, but it can be rough and i don't trust my eyes 100 percent to nail the focus. I may try it though i haven't read any comments that speak poorly of the lens.

ignore my previous post! thanks! thats what i was curious about!

"There is also a slightly more expensive version (Model # 85MAF-N) for Nikon that features a built-in focus confirm chip" this was the sentence that made me think that.

I have used manual focus for bmx, but it can be rough and i don't trust my eyes 100 percent to nail the focus. I may try it though i haven't read any comments that speak poorly of the lens.
A focus confirm chip just means the green dot lights up in the view finder. As far as I know, the lens you are referring to is 100% manual focus. It's a great lens for portraiture and staged shots, but with action shots, there are some definite limitations you should be aware of.

Seems like we are posting pretty much at the same time. Sounds like you have got it figured out. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope you stick around and post more often.

Regards,
George

thanks for clearing things up! and will do!
-Bryce

Most reactions

New Topics

Back