thoughts?

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
couple of things i'm wondering about. should i focus on a true silhouette or leave as is and did i get enough of the shoe in the shot?

23395741-L.jpg

First off awesome shot!!! I think it could use a touch more contrast to really make it pop, and as you mentioned the shoe IMO it could stand to have a little more at the bottom. Other than that this is very powerful! Excellent work Jon.

Not seeing his feet does bother me for some reason. Something about the background in general bothers me a bit. I think I'd prefer to see the shoes and maybe the same image shot from a lower angle so there is more sky behind him (if possible).

Definately more shoes. As for silhouette, go one way or the other; ie true silouette or maybe back lit so there is detail at the edges but it falls to silhouette quickly.
Nice image though.

hmmmm......ya know, I think Chase hit it - shooting from a lower angle here would do the trick. It's like the upper half of this image works, but not the lower half....the feet being cut off, plus the background seems at odds with the drama of the soldier (what's he guarding, the flowers?). :scratch: Does that make sense?

A lower angle would omit all that, and you'd get more of that silhouette that is so effective in the upper half of the shot. :thumbup: Can you go back there to try some more of this?

thanks so much for the timely responses. it's unanimous, i'll need to reshoot and can with no problem since this occurs every hour on the hour. amazing group of soldiers at the "tomb of the unknown soldier"; sorry, i forgot to mention the location. thanks for the suggestions and i think i'll try a lower angle if possible...they somewhat keep you at a distance.

Excellent!!! For me the drama of the soldier out weighs any technical concerns. That does not mean a re shoot is out of the question. Finding out more about these soldiers at the tomb is very intriguing. I see a lot of work centering on this subject.

The clear sky makes this shot., directs all attention to the main subject.. I agree, lower your angle, and maybe underexpose a tad more. spectacular shot here irregardless.. and may peace be with the unknown soldiers. Please send him my regards.

terri said:
hmmmm......ya know, I think Chase hit it - shooting from a lower angle here would do the trick. It's like the upper half of this image works, but not the lower half....the feet being cut off, plus the background seems at odds with the drama of the soldier (what's he guarding, the flowers?). :scratch: Does that make sense?

A lower angle would omit all that, and you'd get more of that silhouette that is so effective in the upper half of the shot. :thumbup: Can you go back there to try some more of this?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I love the top half but don't like the bottom.

I've come back to this photo a couple of times, trying to identify what exactly bothers me about it. I think its having a strong silhouette in the foreground looks un-natural when the background is so evenly lit. Does that make sense?

triggerhappy said:
I've come back to this photo a couple of times, trying to identify what exactly bothers me about it. I think its having a strong silhouette in the foreground looks un-natural when the background is so evenly lit. Does that make sense?

i'm the master of exposure control? :mrgreen: haha

thanks again everyone. i'll definately reshoot keeping your thoughts in mind!

God that's a beautiful shot. I don't know enough about constrast and all that, so I wouldn't have an idea how to make it "better". I'd just be pleased as punch if I took a shot like that.
You know, I just looked at the shot again, and maybe just a tad bit more off the bottom.....Then he's all silloetted. (I have no idea how to spell that.)

elsaspet said:
God that's a beautiful shot. I don't know enough about constrast and all that, so I wouldn't have an idea how to make it "better". I'd just be pleased as punch if I took a shot like that.
You know, I just looked at the shot again, and maybe just a tad bit more off the bottom.....Then he's all silloetted. (I have no idea how to spell that.)

why thank you ma'am!

Most reactions

Back