Three Bits of Advice

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's SoapBox time!
Everybody take a turn.
Give 3 pieces of advice that you feel would be invaluable to the less experienced photographers out there.

Mine:
#1. Never Edit/Retouch your work (especially Photoshop) when you are sleepy. I've often come back to it the next day going WTF was I doing *LOL*

#2. Get the best team you can afford. That means get the very best Makeup Artist and Wardrobe Stylist if you're a fashion shooter. Your gear only gets you so far. Your team matters. If you're a sports shooter, your staked out spot matters, knowing the sport matters. Work within the limitations of your gear.

#3. Go into a shoot with an idea of what you want to get from it. Too often I see photographers go into a shoot with the idea of serendipity...and come out with what looks like a photographer with no idea, no plan and complete rubbish.

Off my soap box and onto you.

#1. Never Edit/Retouch your work (especially Photoshop) when you are sleepy. I've often come back to it the next day going WTF was I doing *LOL*

Don't do it after a few drinks either.

My GF is actually a better photographer when she's slightly tipsy. Her work becomes more fluid and inspired.

I could see that. Many great artists of all mediums have been helped by a drink or two, or seven... I still don't think I would edit while tipsy though, unless I was trying to be unusually artistic with the edits. I usually just edit to produce the most accurate representation of my subject as possible and/or to remove/cover technical flaws.

as a newbie myself... I think the biggest thing I have had to overcome is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t!!

Many times I found myself trying to do something that my equipment just wasn't capable of. May it be shooting in a darker enviroment with no flash and trying to do handheld. IE: chicken salad/chicken sh*t

I disagree. I HIGHly advocate smoking and drinking while processing photos. ;)

Assuming photography in general, Assuming the actual photographic moment and not post processing etc. = landscape, portrait, whatever
Assuming a planned shot....

1) Always consider the overall image before you shoot. Visualize the final product before you even set the camera up.
2) Now you have a vision of the overall - consider your background and any possible distractions that may exist. adjust accordingly
2) Focus, focus focus. Find your focus point (whatever that may be) and use any means necessary to get it right. (live view, view finder etc)

Sure, you have to expose correctly, but without the above, its just a properly exposed image (subjective sure), but camera can be on auto and come close.

My first advice: Don't leave anything on the floor while working, for example the plastic screen protector. In the end you forget and step on it, then you'll find out how expensive are those items :(

1. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures
2. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures
3. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures

1. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures
2. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures
3. Don't let anybody tell you aren't a photographer just because they don't like your pictures

Is that like "Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't a chef... just because you can't cook worth a sh1t?"

It's SoapBox time!
Everybody take a turn.
Give 3 pieces of advice that you feel would be invaluable to the less experienced photographers out there.

Mine:

#2. Get the best team you can afford. That means get the very best Makeup Artist and Wardrobe Stylist if you're a fashion shooter. Your gear only gets you so far. Your team matters. If you're a sports shooter, your staked out spot matters, knowing the sport matters. Work within the limitations of your gear.

#3. Go into a shoot with an idea of what you want to get from it. Too often I see photographers go into a shoot with the idea of serendipity...and come out with what looks like a photographer with no idea, no plan and complete rubbish.

Off my soap box and onto you.

I love #1 because i can soooo relate! Been there.

Hmmm, That's odd. Remove you lens cap is usually in the top three posts of this sort.

1) Charge your batteries the night before.

2) Format your cards the night before.

3) Blow your sensor and swipe your lenses the night before.

Hmmm, That's odd. Remove you lens cap is usually in the top three posts of this sort.

1) Charge your batteries the night before.

2) Format your cards the night before.

3) Blow your sensor and swipe your lenses the night before.
Lucky sensor!

1, Read the manual that came with your camera.
2, Reread the manual that came with your camera.
3, Don't get all pissy when someone critiques your photos after you typed a paragraph of BS asking people to critique your photos.

Most reactions

Back