Three Dandelion Macros.

All right, first of all, Kundalini shouldn't have posted his first response if that's all he felt like saying, it was a waste of my time, and his.

And there's nothing wrong with posting positive comments, but there is a vast difference in the reception of negative comments made by certain members compared to others. Some people get to say pretty much whatever they want and it's never an issue. And others crack a few wise-ass comments and they get hounded. Apparently the longer you've been here and the more the moderators like you, the more you get away with. Which, in some ways makes sense, and in other ways is a joke.

And in a response to Alex B, of course you're going to think Kundalini's response was valid, because it wouldn't be terribly unlike you to say the same thing. And about them being underexposed, that's a fair critique and I will look into that. Perhaps we are working on vastly different monitor brightnesses, perhaps the shots are underexposed, I will investigate further. The focus planes weren't random, but I'm not going to sit here and explain why I did something, because if I have to explain, then the shot has failed with you. And I have nothing wrong with the critique you just posted Alex B, it was perfectly valid, fair, and presented in a way that didn't piss me off.

Oh, and one more thing, in response to Alex B saying, 'I think you are all grown up enough to accept honest opinions and comments,' we are all grown up enough to accept honest opinions and comments unless they are posted in a way that semblances that of an asshole. There's a difference between honestly critical, and honestly rude. And there's a difference between honest contributing to a thread, and honestly just typing the first quip that makes your drunk self chuckle and knowing it's okay because nobody is gonna stop you.

I still think K's comment was acceptable ... OK, it was brief and not wrapped up in candy floss, but he also included the statement that it was just his opinion, and not universal truth which has to be valid for anyone (to cite: "out of focus (to me) ").

And it is pretty normal that people disagree on certain aspects, after all many things are a question of taste, and one cannot please everyone with one single image.

And I do not have the feeling that he is under special protection by the mods. Some people give negative comments in a nicer way, others in a less nice way, which to some might appear rude. But rudeness is relative and what is rude for one, might only be direct and honest for the other individual.

As long as it all stays within certain limits, no mod would intervene.
Only if trouble gets out of control or someone again and again gets extremely rude and causes major uproar, then things might happen. But never without a warning.

I have to say i am baffled by some of the comments made in this thread.

For all of those questioning Mod decisions you are all way off base... we ban people for publically attacking other members, just this week one of our longest members was banned partly for doing this... we have NO biases with anyone, you step out of line you get warned, keep doing it you get banned, its really that simple. This goes for people that have been here for years OR only a matter of days/weeks and everytime we do it, we do it to keep the overall great friendly atmosphere we have here at TPF alive.

Now, what kundalini initially said is not overly aggressive and he certianly does not need banning for it, nor any other kind of disciplinary action... it's to the point yes, but not abusive.
I realise Trenton that this is maybe not the type of response you want in your threads, if this is the case please try and ignore the comment or at least maybe a 'whatever thats your opinion'.... i really dont think he was trying to attack you in any way tho.

ok as you were.

I like the third one, it has some attributes.

Now, what kundalini initially said is not overly aggressive and he certianly does not need banning for it, nor any other kind of disciplinary action... it's to the point yes, but not abusive.

I never even remotely suggested anything like that. I merely asked 'what's with the attitude?', that's all. Might wanna go over my initial response again. :sexywink:

I never even remotely suggested anything like that. I merely asked 'what's with the attitude?', that's all. Might wanna go over my initial response again. :sexywink:

i didn't suggest it was you who said that :p

I am mearly stating here what we pull people aside for in terms of behaviour, it wasn't a direct answer made to a comment anyone made.
However you did say that you didn't understand the concept here in terms of people getting banned, so i thought it may clear things up.

Anyways, back to the pics, any of you can PM me if you have any further questions. ;)

And there's nothing wrong with posting positive comments, but there is a vast difference in the reception of negative comments made by certain members compared to others. Some people get to say pretty much whatever they want and it's never an issue. And others crack a few wise-ass comments and they get hounded. Apparently the longer you've been here and the more the moderators like you, the more you get away with. Which, in some ways makes sense, and in other ways is a joke.

Makes sense to me! Catch you guys later!

i like Number one. i took it and tried the contrast thing but it's a no go. all of your other flower pics really pop. this is a nice contrast to your other work. dandelions are soft, especially when they are dead. secondly, when you try to bump up the contrast even a little, the detail on top and back of the flower blows out. when you darken the image to compensate you lose the comp aspect of the stem the flower in rear and the lovely glow around the center on the shot.

as far as politics, i think i'm going to become a mime. then regardless of what you say or don't at least you know EVERYONE hates you. none of this shades of grey stuff.

Oh my, don't shoot the noob. :hail:

Number 1: There are two things that I dislike about this photo. First, I think the photo might be better of without the black part at the bottom, or it should be at least a bit shorter. Second, you have two elements: the in-focus dandelion in the front and the out-of-focus one in the back. The former stands out with it's detail, the latter with the contrast against the black background - both of them draw my eye equally, and it feels somewhat unpleasant to me.
Number 2: My favorite. Really like the focus being inside. If there was a bit more black around it, it would be even better I think. You have a clear 2D outside-borderline-inside pattern, and the inside part of it has a third dimension which you have created with the deeper focus. Really good.
Number 3: My least favorite. The eye wanders all around, not sure on what to focus. DOF might be a problem, but also the shape of the dandelion, with so many lines leading in so many directions. A square frame around the whole dandelion might have helped focus the attention to the midpoint, if that was what you wanted.

1) I wish it had more contrast to bring out some true whites. I also wish the details were sharper.

2) I know you were going for focus on the inner part, but my first impression was that you missed your focus. Good idea and I think if you keep experimenting you might find really good results. Maybe you could try thinning out the front spores (carefully plucking, etc) before shooting to make the focus more clear.

3) I really like this one. I love the DOF. I love the detail. Most of all I love the contrast! This one is definately my favorite.

Most reactions

Back