Three new Canon Lenses:

My philosphy was better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. If I could splurge a little extra for it, I would. Doesn't make me a better photographer, but since I mostly shoot hand-held at ISO 100, it helps, especially anything over 200mm. :)

The question (a question) now is: If the IS on these new kit lenses is better than on their L lenses, will they be upgrading their L lenses soon? And if so, how much lead time will we have?

(Speaking as someone who is now, "thanks" to Big Mike, thinking of getting the 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS vs. non-IS in a few months ...)

Well as for the BIG primes, they have been around for a few years now so they could be updated within the next 2 years and if they did they'd probably have DO elements and the new or even newer IS units in.

As for lenses like the 100-400, 70-200 2.8 and the F4 lenses I think it will be a few years yet, most are still pretty new except for the 'dust magnet' 100-400

One really good thing about this is that they have simplified IS but kept it a 4 stop helper, meaning other IS lenses may go down in price later due to the simplification.

Forget about the new lenses...I've just read through the list of upgardes on the 40D....WOW! That is one heck of a camera. :D
Nothing mutually exclusive about that Mike ..... :D
My pre-order for a 40D is in, and I'm now in lens-searching mode. I plan to do a fair bit of shooting from the open window of a Cessna two- or four- seater, at 500-10,000 ft. In anything from light chop to moderate turbulence. IS for the whole range of lenses sounds pretty good to me. But I need to read about the optical qualities of these lenses - no point getting a 40D if you hang some cheesy stack of glass off the front (as I'm about to inform my wife, ahem ....). A comment in an earlier posts has me wondering.

Hardest part of this forum: keeping up with lostprophet's avatars.
This may be true, but lately everything he posts is music to this pre-buyer's ears .......... :hail:

People like youse guys need to understand something: people like me put a lot of faith in what you experienced types say here on the forum. What else can we do? And the dropping of objects from a light aircraft, in a rural area and in a manner such as not to jeopardize the safety or integrity of anyone or anything on the ground (of course ...), is perfectly legal. Do you want always to be wincing when you hear the sound of a light aircraft overhead ? ..... well do you ? :( .. :)

So, which lens is it to be then ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back