Three portraits for C&C

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are photos taken in the last few weeks of my friend's family. I've done a fair amount of tweaking in lightroom to get them where I want them. Now I'm hoping you can help me see what I have missed and if there is potential to get more out of these photographs. Thanks.

1. Taken at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite
1/50 f7.1 ISO 800. Semi posed.

DSC_1427.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

2. Inside a burned tree at Mariposa Grove
1/125 f7.1 ISO 800. A candid. She was copying her brother, I had just been taking shots of him. Lots of noise reduction which gives the effect of skin smoothing.

DSC_1461.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

3. Same family in their backyard. Afternoon, shaded. A spontaneous opportunity for a portrait. I can't figure out a white balance that I am happy with. Also, I think the background is too bright. I guess I should have used a wider aperture.
1/60 f6.3 ISO 200 50mm lens.

DSC_0301.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Thanks for your thoughts.

Desi

looks like a nice family...I would say.
-the first shot has some overexposure on the skin and pine cones, while the lower section could use some brightening. The focus might be a little off...I can't really tell.
-the second one was taken at an awkward angle...too bad you don't have one that is straight on....would have made for a more interesting composition. Exposure issues here as well...on the tree in and out. I like the bright light on her face, though. Very cute.
-the third has some exposure issues on the skin areas as well...perhaps in other areas too.

Then again...portraits aren't really my bag. Nice shots.:wink:

Last edited:
Just a thought- and I'm not an expert, but it seems like in the family shot a lot of the eye sockets seem dark. Try adding an an adjustment layer and brightening up just those spots. I'm not sure what functionality you have in Lightroom cause I have photoshop.

Also- try bringing the exposure down a tad, and/or dodge and burn the spots that are under/over exposed. Especially the lady at top right. Her face is probably the most overexposed.

Nice personal portraits!

2 is great. the lighting is beautiful! Hope you don't mind I did a quick edit

1 is out of focus. Your skin tones also seem off. With 1 and 3 try shooting just at or below eye level. It really looks like you were shooting up in these.

Attachments

• $7499283518_f10c3cbaa8_b-2.jpg
    $7499283518_f10c3cbaa8_b-2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 142
More snapshot like than photgraphs. Concentrate on filling the frame, proper lighting, and minimal adjustments for these types of photos.

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

Seems the consensus is some over-exposure issues (I definitely see it on the mom in the last shot).

#1: Skin tones in the first I thought were OK, most of the tweaking was to make the background bark come out, it was otherwise very bland. The focus seems OK to me, the softness is from noise reduction and some motion (especially in the boy's left arm).

#2: I tried dead on with her brother but didn't like the composition as much. He looked like he was posing, she looked natural.

Paigew, I really like your edit. Thank you!!. I hadn't envisioned it as a black&white, looks nice. From a composition perspective, I was trying to keep the framing from the two sides of the tree, but then I had to deal with the leg and turned up dress. Your crop deals with those nicely.

#3: is driving me nuts. I agree that it seems somewhat overcooked. Hadn't thought of the perspective as being a negative.

To induce a feeling of intimacy..that is one of the striking feature of a successful portrait.... and these images are doing that very much....

How sweet that praying little girl! i too prefer trimming its bottom part which has some awkward element there

Regards :D

To induce a feeling of intimacy..that is one of the striking feature of a successful portrait.... and these images are doing that very much....

How sweet that praying little girl! i too prefer trimming its bottom part which has some awkward element there

Frequency, thanks for your kind comments. I'm still enjoying your tour through Kerala.

Frequency, your comments are awesome -

Most reactions

Back