Through Mom's eyes

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In reading Scott Kelby's books, he talks about shooting in shutter priority, aperture priority and he mentions for street photography he uses program mode. Since I primarily have been using manual, I thought I would try out these modes this weekend. We were sitting outside watching the kids play so I put it in program and was taking some photos. I will admit that they were mostly all snapshots and only are for the family. But as I was editing this one of my wife, I noticed the reflection in her sunglasses. So I cropped it to here.

I know that there are probably some issues with the shot but does the concept work? Some of the things that I think I would have done a little differently is get my son in the sunlight so you could see him better and zoomed in to this tight and moved camera left for a better angle.

Through Mom's Eyes by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

I think it works. You are right about putting your son in the sun, but you kinda need to keep the glasses in the shadow unless you have more reflective glasses. Also, it will also help if you show her lips smilling.

Here is a shot I did with a similar concept.
p402352408-4.jpg

Thanks Robin. I agree, I wasn't going to move her at all. Honestly, this was one of those nice accidents. I will try to retake this shot this week and make the changes to see if I can improve it.

I like that shot but it just has me asking so many questions. What's the helmet? Are the goggles, for sking or motorcycling? Who is this gentle man in relation to the couple?

It is a skier. It was a wedding at a ski resort in the winter time. There was no relation. It was just some dude intrigued seeing a bride brave enough to go up the slope in a shoulder-less dress. So I asked him to stand next to them because I like his goggles.

You can also do some off camera flash on your kid.

I like where you are going with this, Ron.

Thanks Squirrels. I want to recreate this one now with just my son as stated above, but I think I also want to try to get both of my kids standing there and see if I can get one in each lens of her glasses. (This may be a trick but I think she will love it if I can pull it off.)

Unless those are her favorite sunglasses I wonder whether a pair of el cheapos with no logo on the side would help keep the focus on the reflection? I'm excited to see what happens.

Unless those are her favorite sunglasses I wonder whether a pair of el cheapos with no logo on the side would help keep the focus on the reflection? I'm excited to see what happens.

I think to pull both shots off best, I need to move the camera to the camera left to see more of the lens(es). In doing so, It will take the focus off the logo.

Oops! :D I should have seen that. Good point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back