Thunder Storms at night.

Charcaradon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am fairly new to the SLR scene so I am still learning as I go along.

Currently I am working on an island in the Bahamas, and at night we get to see some spectacular Thunder Storms.

However I have been unable to get any good shots, because by the time I get my focus adjusted the flash is gone already.
Now I am using a Canon 60D. Could anyone please make a suggestion as to what my settings needs to be so that I can capture some of these shots?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Set up on a tripod, adjust your aperture to around F/18. Put your ISO around 100. Focus about a third of the way into your 'scene' using a wide angle lens. Set your shutter speed so that your trees or whatever your foreground interest is to be where you want it to be. Should be several seconds. The longer the better. Take a shot...was there any lightening when the shutter was open? If no, try again and again.

The lightening is so bright, it will show up right and you had already balanced the exposure for your foreground. The trick is to not try to take a shot when you see the lightening but for the lightening to occur while you are taking the shot.

The post above nailed it. The only thing I will add is to use the wired remote switch compatible with the 60D. Set up the shot, and then make sure the camera is on continuous shooting and then lock down the button on the remote. And then sit back, have a drink, and watch the storm. With each exposure lasting several seconds you can sit there for quite a while with a 16GB card.

Thanks for the advice folks. I was on the right path, but it just needed some good advice and fine tuning. ;)

DSC_5859-2ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

This shot took about 800 frames to get (filled my 4gig card twice). Tripod, focus set to inifinty, ISO 200, f/16 I believe, 2.5 sec shutter evened out the exposure, remote shutter release is a must for these situations.

p!nK

i really like all the color in this with the bright blue lightning!!

Most reactions

Back