Tiger Framed

First shot is milquetoast; looks sooc and not exposed well.

My eyes travel all over looking for a subject and target the light in the bg.

The subject matter does not overcome this as presented; and I'm probably the biggest large cat fan on this site.

Last edited:
Original definitely looks better when given some post-processing punch.

Agree with what has already been said, beautiful shot that could be great with a little post processing. Maybe something like this quick 2 minute LR edit

View attachment 187338

That's better in some ways but it's pixel heavy and showing a lot of artifacts that way.

Did a quick once over.

Softed the nervous bokeh. adjusted the colors. and added a lot of contrast to combat being shot in the shadows. slight crop.

Could do a lot better with a RAW vs this web sized JPG.

But IMHO this went from "would snuggle" to "MUST snuggle."

View attachment 187366

It appears the tiger itself was in heavy shadows which probably made it a little hard to adjust perfectly but you did a good job with what you had to work with, it looks way better now.

First shot is milquetoast; looks sooc and not exposed well.

My eyes travel all over looking for a subject and target the light in the bg.

The subject matter does not overcome this as presented; and I'm probably the biggest large cat fan on this site.

I’m not writing that isn’t the case with the original.

But the edit just make it look fake, unreal, as it remove the feel of the scene happing in a more natural scene/landscape, in fact it makes it look like it where shot in a western safari park away from a natural habitat.

Completely disagree. But that's okay...

Well if we all agreed it would be a rather boring site ;)

Love it! A unique experience.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yes, it was. It was my wife's and mine first ever sighting of a Tiger in the wild. It definitely did give us goosebumps, as she walked almost a mile head on towards us.

A very nice pic but I have to agree about the post processing. To me it mostly appears washed out.
Ah thought so too, but as I'm not good at PP, I left it that way, the only PP I did was to crop a little.

Did a quick once over.

Softed the nervous bokeh. adjusted the colors. and added a lot of contrast to combat being shot in the shadows. slight crop.

Could do a lot better with a RAW vs this web sized JPG.

But IMHO this went from "would snuggle" to "MUST snuggle."

View attachment 187366
Wow, that looks really good. I need to learn the art of PP. Thanks!

Wow, that looks really good. I need to learn the art of PP. Thanks!

You have the hard part all sorted out, the post processing is easy compared to facing down a tiger lol

Set a black point, set a highlight tone point, and adjust the curves...take about 15 seconds.... you can even skip the setting of the black and white points and just manually adjust the curves and you can make remarkable transformations to as-shot images. What I am describing is 1990's era basic image adjusting. This is the old school way of making a rather flat image look better. This was the standard pre-press approach that a friend of mine used in his 17 years of working for The Oregonian newspaper as the chief color toning guy. Remember in journalistic photography, making wholesale Corrections is against the quote-unquote rules

Most reactions

New Topics

Back