Tight face shot

Technicalities aside though, #1 is the better shot imo. Technically better doesn't always mean a better image.

I will say though, that #1's skin softening isn't the greatest.

I think you cropped the 2nd shot right the first time. In the full shot, her head and body look distorted, like they are not attached! I dunno ... Probably the angle and DOF.

Anyway, she is lovely and both shots are nice. the bottom one reminds me of Audrey Hepburn.

Beautiful eyes, beautiful girl and excellent shot.

The second one.

Dammit Ralph, if my wife see's you're post I'm not going to be happy. And giving her ideas about 'the customer is always right?" Well that's just crazy talk and I won't have it.

I you have married someone that hasn't yet realized that she is always right and you are always wrong, then I salute you sir! And I certainly don't want to ruin that for you.... but she will realize sooner or later :lol:

Just as an update, after the very mixed opinion here, I put both these pics on flickr to see the reaction of the great unwashed masses.. To make it fair they were both uploaded on the same day one week apart, #1 being first. Both went on Explore and #1 got 1,780 views and 111 favs in its 24hrs, and #2 got 2,140 views and 102 favs. So pretty much #2 looked nicer in thumbnail I guess, but not a lot in it.

I have to hang my head in defeat though, as #1 was still the terrible batch processed version and still managed to hold its own with my lovingly and painstakingly edited #2. My wife is correct and obviously I have no idea what a good picture is. I'm having a moment of doubt where I wonder if its actually possible to become 'good' at photography if while you grasp light and effect, you cant actually tell what a decent shot looks like...

Good tonal contrast on the skin for the most part. No. 2 is great if you don't mind there's no detail in the hair. A simple reflector would've restored some of that. I'm sure she likes her hair. I would add some light in the lower parts of her eyes in post. It's cropped too tight. No. 1 is over exposed. Technically no highlights or shadows should be lost unless it's a specific look you're going for. Why include the hair in the frame if you're going to lose it to the background? She probably has great hair and you should reveal the fine texture of it.

Most reactions

Back