Tilted lines in buildings

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did not notice the Bell tower leaning in (#1) when viewing with my naked eye. I took this with my cell phone camera. I am curious if this is a distortion of some kind and how to prevent it when using my DSLR. I think I remember this happening with my Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 as well. I always choose a line to frame.

Additionally, I have been taking interior photos for the wife's property portfolio using my 35mm 1.8g and not noticed it but not saying it's not happening, just not noticeable as I am able to frame correctly from walls, borders, etc. The capture is fine.

In conclusion, I assume this is limitation (distortion) of the lens, my angle and / or level of camera? I want the line to correspond with what I am seeing with no surprises if that makes any sense. In #2, the roof made the most sense, upper left corner.

#1: camera
35c62d711528b057a5b4e973581c0e9e.jpg

#2: Sigma
19d26b6bc8efa1bb8c14022985201a0a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Keystoning -- rectangle rendered as a trapazoid -- occurs when the camera is tilted relative to the vertical or horizontal plane of the subject.

It's software correctable. I used DXo Viewpoint.

Joe

church.jpg

It's perspective distortion; a combination of the fact that you're not shooting plumb and square to the subject, and the optical distortion of the lens. Some are worse than others. This is exactly the sort of thing that a PC (Perspective Correction) or Tilt/Shift lens is designed to correct.

Thank-you men for the cause-effect-correction.

In the future, is there anything I can do to correct it without software... Different lens, technique etc

Thank-you men for the cause-effect-correction.

In the future, is there anything I can do to correct it without software... Different lens, technique etc

Get one of these:

Linhof_Technika_III_5x7in_-_13x18cm.jpg

Otherwise don't tilt the camera in which case you may need one of these:

step-ladder.jpg

You can easily correct it in post with a simple perspective correction. But be sure to apply LENS distortion correction FIRST.

The problem is you will end up with an image that has less resolution at the top of the image than y0u do at the bottom. In most cases, this will not be noticeable, but may rear its ugly head with huge enlargements.

Or, as suggested, get a PC / TS lens.

Ok, I'm confused. I apologize for my stupidity, I will just keep searching for an answer on the internet.

Ok, I'm confused. I apologize for my stupidity, I will just keep searching for an answer on the internet.

It's merely a function of not keeping the plane of the subject parallel with the plane of your camera's sensor. By forcing the two to converge (by tilting the camera), you create the distortion of converging lines. Just like railroad tracks converge in the distance.

You can either:
1. Correct it in post by using the Perspective too.
2. Shoot with a much wider lens, keep the camera plumb, and crop out the unneeded portions in post.
3. Purchase a Perspective Correction / Tilt-Shift lens.
4. Purchase a camera that has movements (such as a view camera).

How to Avoid Converging Verticals | PhotographyBLOG

Joe
Thank you Joe, that explains it. Your 1st response made me feel like an idiot for asking.

Sorry about that -- just having some fun. A view camera or technical camera has independently movable lens and film standards. This permits the film/sensor to always be leveled and kept parallel to the plane of the subject. Then the lens can be raised, lowered or moved side to side to frame the subject and avoid the keystoning.

Joe

Nice shot on the 1st one, cell phones tend to be a pretty wide angle which is easier to get distortion with. Could just be that or the angle you were holding the camera at. Holding the phone perfectly level will reduce the chances of distortion

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

It's perspective distortion; a combination of the fact that you're not shooting plumb and square to the subject, and the optical distortion of the lens. Some are worse than others. This is exactly the sort of thing that a PC (Perspective Correction) or Tilt/Shift lens is designed to correct.
Wow, those are not cheap!

OK, I got it figured out in Gimp but results are probably the same as in photoshop. It seems you have to pick your poison. In the example below, it was either the building or the pumps, I chose to leave the pumps tilted. I can always go back there and shoot from a tripod but I am not in that area for a while. Good lesson learned. Makes sense now. Thank you all.
Sinclair Grill.JPG

Are you correcting for lens distortion first? That may explain the differences between the building and the pumps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back