Tim Page - Leica 21mm

IIt tends to give the lens the status of an icon*, and it really seemed out of character compared to what I know of Tim's work.

I just saw the video and this thread... I'm kinda in agreement with Helen. I think the series speaks volumes in of itself. The beginning kinda "cheapens" the whole thing by being Leica "commercialized". The video brings focus on "a wonderful piece of glass" instead of the accomplishments of a talented photographer.

Leica shooters are always faced with the whole (expensive) equipment versus photographer stigma. The only Leica screen time that I see appropriate is Tim Page's portrait with the camera and lens of his choosing.... which happens to be a Leica with the 21mm Elmarit.

Leica shooters are always faced with the whole (expensive) equipment versus photographer stigma. The only Leica screen time that I see appropriate is Tim Page's portrait with the camera and lens of his choosing.... which happens to be a Leica with the 21mm Elmarit.

I'll keep that in mind when I redo the video - I really didn't think it was a big deal, because Tim always praises the lens. As well as coming from a tradition that, "To take a good picture you have to get close".

...anyhow, back to the photo's. I like certain ones, is there a voting system to help narrow down the selection?

If you are able, please just email [email protected] to list the images you admire.

Cheers,
Shaun

I'll keep that in mind when I redo the video - I really didn't think it was a big deal, because Tim always praises the lens.

Shaun,

Usayit has explained how I feel better than I did.

Nobody is arguing that it isn't a great lens, but it is just a lens and not an icon. Images can convey messages, and I believe that we are obliged to at least be aware of what messages our images could send. My feeling is that the lens isn't as important as the person behind the lens, and the person behind the lens isn't as important as the people in front.

Best,
Helen

PS Have you thought about posting under a screen name other than 'Tim Page'?

Yup.. I didn't mean to convey that the lens isn't all that great... IT IS A WONDERFUL work of craftsmanship.. In fact, I'll probably be an owner of that lens sometime in the next year or so (assuming I can keep up with the savings and the dollar :p ).

Expensive camera items always seem to detract from the photographer's work and efforts; that Leica "Red Dot" is especially good at it. Simply showing Mr. Page's portrait with his camera of choice, a Leica, is just enough screen time for the Leica branding as to not take away from Mr. Page's accomplishments. After all, Mr Page's images and their content is worth more than even the 21mm Elmarit costing several thousand dollars.

You want the viewer to say

"Wow... Look at what Tim Page captured in his lifetime!!"
instead of
"Wow... thats a wonderful piece of glass!!"

BTW... I like your choice in music. Is there a website that has these photos in a little better clarity than possible in a youtube video?

Well, I love the work, and will be sending in some notes on the various images soon.

I just spent three weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam behind an M8 with the 21mm Elmarit, and I can tell you that it is a fabulous lens. Don't even bother looking at my blog, nothing has been worked on or posted yet - I'll show them off in the TPF Gallery when I'm ready. My point is that the lens is great, but none of my images came out like Tim's - so believe me, it ain't the gear taking the pictures.

...well, one or two of mine are pretty good. But after twenty years I'm entitled to get one once in a while ;-)

Oh Iron,

WTF dude, your everywhere?

One day we were walking the streets of Los Angeles, now then you popped up in Berlin, Now Cambodia land of rice water things?

Dude gets around !!!! :lol:

I cant wait to see the shots !!

What does this mean?

'Trawling' as in 'fishing' but with a big net.
If you are wanting to get as good a response as possible to something you put it in a number of places where it can be seen by a lot of people. On the Internet this means posting the same thing on a number of boards.
The wider you cast your 'net' the more 'fish' you catch.
A perfectly reasonable and sensible thing to do if you want to guarantee getting some responses and I don't have a problem with it.
I worked in Advertising for some years and I often slip into Ad-Speak. Sorry ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back