Time For A 2nd Flash

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been playing around with lighting a lot and would like to pick up another flash to kick around with.

I see a lot of talk about vivitars, sunpacks, and even the SB-24 and what not. I am becoming very overwhelmed in debating if I should buy another SB-600 or SB-800, or which of the vivitars would suffice?

I am using nikons system to make it clear.
What would be the suggestions from the experienced?
Pros and cons?

well, it's been a long time since i first started using flashes, but i can't remember ever being too confused by my sb800 when i first got it.

i have 2 now, and find them to be perfect together. enough power to spare and less complicated to set up than the sb600 (imho).

i'd get an sb800. especially since you have a 600/800 now, you can make the most of CLS.

the thing with 3rd party, although very usable, is that they're usually full-manual and you'd need triggers to go wireless. if you have a flash meter and triggers, well i'd say 3rd party then.

Ive been reading through the strobist blog but highly skipped through 101 honestly. Probably my mistake.

I didnt realize nikons cls couldnt trigger the other flashes? In that case i am already sold on the nikons.

Thanks Jip, i will read through that again

Ive been reading through the strobist blog but highly skipped through 101 honestly. Probably my mistake.

I didnt realize nikons cls couldnt trigger the other flashes? In that case i am already sold on the nikons.

Thanks Jip, i will read through that again

101 discusses triggering options. PW's, Ebay radios, etc... Radio vs. TTL

I love using CLS. Only thing about it, though, is that there are a lot of people who are fast-blinkers. The preflash used to trigger slave flashes makes these type of people have their eyes closed by the time the image is captured.

I've had to stop using it to take pictures of my kids, but for other applications, its great.

Most reactions

Back