Time for an Upgrade.. 5D Mark II or 7D?

@ Overread why would you bracket with the aperture? You would find it hard to do a HDR with different apertures. Bracketing is done with shutter speed, you want the depth of field to be the same.

@ Overread why would you bracket with the aperture? You would find it hard to do a HDR with different apertures. Bracketing is done with shutter speed, you want the depth of field to be the same.

He shoots macro, shots can be stacked

Yeah I was thinking macro there.
Thus far my only HDR's/tonemaps have been the "fake" kind pulled out of a single RAW shot so I sometimes forget that it shutter speed one works with for landscapes.

gsgary said:
Why would exposure bracketing hold you back, don't you know how to alter the exposure by half or 1 stop a stop each way ?

When Nikon has more then 3 Autobrackets and Canon does not for the 5D I will wait a bit longer to see what develops.
Nikon's equivelent to the 5D Mk II, the D700, has 9 auto brackets.

D700 from Nikon
Exposure Bracketing
From 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV

Yeah I was thinking macro there.
Thus far my only HDR's/tonemaps have been the "fake" kind pulled out of a single RAW shot so I sometimes forget that it shutter speed one works with for landscapes.

Ah, now that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I'd wait for the 5D MkIII. Set to be released this spring. It's definitely going to my jump to full-frame.

--
Sent from my HTC Pyramid.

I'd wait for the 5D MkIII. Set to be released this spring. It's definitely going to my jump to full-frame.

--
Sent from my HTC Pyramid.

Well it MAY be released (if indeed there is to be a 5D mark III - no-one except Canon knows that for sure) in the spring, but equally it may be anytime between now and the next millenium...

Still....for focus stacking, wouldn't you need to change the focus point (or distance)? If you are just changing the aperture, the one with the smallest aperture will have the deepest DOF, the other shots in the bracket set wouldn't be of any use if all that changed was the aperture.

Still....for focus stacking, wouldn't you need to change the focus point (or distance)? If you are just changing the aperture, the one with the smallest aperture will have the deepest DOF, the other shots in the bracket set wouldn't be of any use if all that changed was the aperture.

Aye the primary method is keeping the aperture the same whilst moving the camera+lens closer to move the point of focus through the scene. However most of the time you don't have a scene you can move fully though and that means when you stop the stack series you get a very sharp line between the infocus subject and the sudden blurr of the out of focus sections.
So when you can, you adjust the aperture - starting out small and sharp for the early shots and then moving to a smaller and smaller aperture for the last few photos so that the blurring takes on a more natural appearance.

Good to know. It's not something I've tried, but I certainly want to look into it.

Most reactions

Back