Time for me to ditch the mirror, maybe leave Nikon?

ac12

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Don't settle, life is to short. Personally, I don't get all the negative comments on the full frame Nikon mirrorless other than the retro FM digital camera. Also you can still rent cameras. The camera is a tool, you just have to find the one that fits you and makes you want to shoot. My current favorite camera is the Agfa Billy Record FWIW.

I'm going to tell you something interesting, if I was forced to only have one camera, it would be the Fujifilm X100V. No fusssing around with lenses, just grab and go. I recently was laughed at by a professional photographer at a soccer game because I was using the 100V and prior to that the Agfa Billy Record. He made a snarky comment and instead of beating him up (my old self), I just smiled and walked to my vehicle. He came up to me last night and apologized. He said his wife was raving about my photo's so he took a look and admitted was shocked. I said no worries and thank you. I also told him it's the 12 inches behind the camera regardless of make or model. This is a huge crop but hey, the best camera is the one you have with you.

View attachment 248284

Well that took some guts, to do.
People with an overinflated ego might admit it, but won't tell you that.

photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Photos OK to edit
That's silly, I disagree. I think most are both. I consider myself both. I'm not a pro and don't need to justify investment with any return. The gear is absolutely, unashamedly, part of the enjoyment of the hobby for many people.
I agree with you. As an aviator we knew full well that the huge investment we made in an IFR GPS would in no way make us better pilots. But it would enable us to fly routes and approaches that were otherwise unavailable. The same is true with photography. My mirrorless doesn't make me a better photographer but there are some shots I can get with it that are extraordinarily difficult with my traditional DSLR. And it is fun to use.

OP
zulu42

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
the equipment you have should serve you quite well. You can get a significant boost in quality by paying someone to remove that stupid filter in front of the sensor. And another huge boost by unloading any zoom lenses you may have. Manufacturers have been swearing up and down for decades that 'zoom lenses are now as good as fixed focal length lenses'. They're still lying about that, though the current zoom lenses (the very expensive ones) are indeed substantial improvements, but they still rob a lot of resolution from our images.
I should mention I'm not disagreeing with your entire post :)

OP
zulu42

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

jcdeboever

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well that took some guts, to do.
People with an overinflated ego might admit it, but won't tell you that.
I was surprised as well. He was so sure of himself and his snarky comment.

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have definitely noticed his absence and hope he is doing well!
He's fine (recovered from a stroke). I just talked to him yesterday. But he's no longer really into shooting.

mrca

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, if Darrell is reading here, hope you get well soon. Your wisdom is missed.

flyingPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I agree with you. As an aviator we knew full well that the huge investment we made in an IFR GPS would in no way make us better pilots. But it would enable us to fly routes and approaches that were otherwise unavailable. The same is true with photography. My mirrorless doesn't make me a better photographer but there are some shots I can get with it that are extraordinarily difficult with my traditional DSLR. And it is fun to use.
Yet i bet that you still use photoshop on everything...

Look at it this way,, tools dont actually make a better photo, photographer, or pilot.

If a machinist is able to make a medieval style lathe, and make chair legs, he can do it with any lathe ever made.

Most reactions

New Topics