Time Lapse of the Solstice Eclipse..covers 6ish hours!

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I made this time lapse the night of the lunar eclipse, and, as you all know, the solstice. I missed the very beginning of the eclipse. A mistake I could kick myself for over and over. I did, however, catch more than 3/4 of it and ran it together into a time lapse. Until the end, the shutter speed was at 8s, I believe. Towards the end, where the moon 'reappears', the shutter went up to something like 1/200s. Other than that, The camera was set at ISO200, F/7.1 through its entirety. Enjoy and tell me what you think!

Nikon D300s
Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8 AF-D

Watch in full screen, at 1080p! It covered such a vast distance, the resulting moon on the lapse looks rather small..:(

For some reason, cant seem to get the voice-over to work either. :grumpy:
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you shooting on Aperture priority? I think you would have better results if it was shot in manual. That way your exposure is consistent. But overall, very cool!

Liked the choice of music ....

The Skye boat song ?

I was shooting in manual. It was hard to maintain an exposure because..well..the eclipse is a shadow on the moon. This would obviously make it have a much slower exposure than the moon at full blast. Between the differences in shadow strength, the clouds, and the difference in exposure between the full blast moon and the eclipsed moon constantly being superimposed with one another, it was hard to get a good exposure. It was completely impossible to get both parts exposed properly.

Thank you all!
Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back