Time Lapse photo spots

noefite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with my wide angle lens on my ship lately and noticed red spots in the photos. The photos ranged from 1 min to 20 minutes. Everyone has had red spots in the photo. I varied the ISO from 1600-400, and that seemed to help a bit, but I see they are definitely there on the lower ISO.
I noticed spots a few months ago on another time lapse photo I took, but I thought it had something to do with the fully manual wide angle lens I was using. This is a new lens, and I see I still have the problem.

Any suggestions?

Please post an example.

I think you are seeing image noise caused by high ISO, plus in the case of long exposures, thermal noise from the image sensor heating up.

Your camera may have a Long Exposure Noise Reduction (LENR) option. If it does you need to know that if you take a 1 minuter exposure the LENR will make a 1 minute exposure with the shutter closed so the image processor can map and remove shot and thermal noise from the image. By the same token if you make a 17 minute exposure, the LENR feature will also make a 17 minute exposure.

Another way to minimize image noise is to make a lot of much shorter exposures and 'stack' them post process. Photo Stacking and Long Exposures - Part 1: Introduction | Shutter Photo Magazine

Thanks so much for your help. I have used the feature in the past, but hated when it took an hour to process a half hour time lapse. Now I understand what was happening when I selected that option. Maybe it's time I bought a second body to do more than a few photos a night.

Here are the photos I was talking about. Sorry it took so long, I am on a ship and our internet is a bit slow.

Attachments

• $IMG_0103.JPG
    $IMG_0103.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 79
  • $IMG_0104.JPG
    $IMG_0104.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 73
  • $IMG_0105.JPG
    $IMG_0105.JPG
    709.6 KB · Views: 98
  • $IMG_0106.JPG
    $IMG_0106.JPG