time marches on...

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Playing with macro. The setup: 50mm f/1.7 lens mounted on a reversing ring. That connected to a 2x doubler/extension tube combo & that whole mess mounted on the camera.

First shot is actually a 30 second exposure. The watch is laying under a small table lamp (approximately 10 inches away) with a 60 watt bulb in it. First attempt was with the lamp off. I was trying to get just the glowing hands, but it just wasn't enough light. So, I did it a second time and flipped the light switch on for approximately 1 second during the 30 second exposure. That's how I got the second hand frozen on a long exposure.

tick01.jpg

This shot is with the lamp on and is a 3 second exposure, hence the multiple second hands. I need to go back to the RAW file and darken this one up some I think.

tick02.jpg

Both shots taken from about 5 inches away @ 45° angle from the watch face. Focus point was the word LTD. This was mostly a DOF exercise (f/16), but turned out kinda cool. ;)

I think you need a bigger dof to be honest. But with this kind of magnification dofs are tiny. If you can get a polarizer on your set up give it a go. It'll get rid of any glare on the glass.
I've been doing reversed lens today as well. I had to use blue tack to hold my lens on though. I haven't got an adaptor for this camera yet. Magnification was 42+. :shock:
I'll post a picture. It's a bit crappy though.

The DOF here is as good as it gets with this setup. :)

Shooting closer to square would give more, but this was mostly to see what kind of DOF I can get with this lens arrangement.

I need to pick up a different 50mm with a smaller aperture to mess with.

Here's one I did today, a 34 second exposure in ambient light from the window 10 feet away. Strobed the lamp like a flash- on & off as quickly as I could flip the switch, which highlighted the second hand.

tick03.jpg

Interesting stuff Jim!
I hope that's not the time you get up in the morning because it's too early for your sunrises. :lol:

Hey, Jim, I really like the first one the best. Love that dark background with the yellow and purple - it all works beautifully. DOF doesn't bother me a bit here, I like it. :D

nice, i like the first one alot. i think u captured too much of the reflection on the second one, so u can see dust and stuff.

Most reactions

Back