Time to Clean the Sensor

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just noticed some dust spots on my D810 ... I suppose it's time to clean it. So ... this seems like something I need to learn to do myself, so I'm ready to get it done.

I know I need
  • Swabs (expensive, dang!)
  • Sensor/Mirror Cleaning Solution
  • Wipes (for exterior)
  • Non-lint q-tips (for mirror chamber/mirror)
  • Sensor Loupe (i want the best I can afford)
  • (preferably) one-on-one training for first time
Any suggestions for products that you've had luck with?

Thanks,
--Kerry

I can only speak for Visible Dust products, and then only for sensor swabs and fluid.

• (preferably) one-on-one training for first time...........

Only if you're willing to wait until November.... I should be driving through Denton on my way to Red Oak for Turkey Day.

I can only speak for Visible Dust products, and then only for sensor swabs and fluid.

• (preferably) one-on-one training for first time...........

Only if you're willing to wait until November.... I should be driving through Denton on my way to Red Oak for Turkey Day.

I've seen Visible Dust products as well, and am interested ... Re: teaching: dang ... thanks ... but I probably better get to it a bit sooner than that.

I've only used Sensor Swabs and a drop of Eclipse. Bought a box five years ago and only half through it so haven't tried anything else.

I've only used Sensor Swabs and a drop of Eclipse. Bought a box five years ago and only half through it so haven't tried anything else.
Same here.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't really worry about anything except the sensor, as that's the only place that affects your images. I've read of people knocking the mirror out of its frame trying to clean it.

I understand the idea that if the mirror and focus screen are cleaner, there's nothing to fall onto the sensor if it gets jostled loose. I'd rather just clean the sensor, which is an easier and much lower-risk proposition.

Last edited:
There is no need to clean the mirror. Ever. As in ever. As in 30 year old F3, mirror never been touched. I have not cleaned a mirror since the 1980's, when I scratched one up badly using the lightest, most delicate touch.

Sensor Swabs, Eclipse cleaning fluid, those seem good to me. My Sensor Scope brand illuminated, magnifying loupe and cleaning kit came with a bunch of blue, shop-towel colored, un-branded APS-C-width cleaning swabs, which were "okay" on my crop-frame cameras. The biggest problem area I have had is when I have used too much cleaning fluid! Two drops is PLENTY. Using excessive liquid applied to the swabs leads to streaking, and the need to use additional, clean swabs to remove the streaks. If you have a FF sensor, buy FF-sized swabs.

There are alternate sensor cleaning methods, like Lenspen, Arctic Butterfly brush system, and so on. I've even read a number of accounts of using the Scotch brand Magic Tape, the 511 or 508 SKU, to clean the sensor--and when done right, it actually does work, but I would not recommend that. If you watch the Lensrentals.com video on their sensor cleaning method, they use the Lenspen, and dab it onto spots on the sensor, and to my way of thinking, do a sloppy job of it because it requires lots of going back over...something that comes from technicians who don't have to pay for cleaning materials and supplies and sloppy work out of their own pocket, but do it the way they do on the company dime. Their method does not seem to be represented anywhere else that I have ever seen on the web or on YouTube.

Most reactions

Back