Time to come out...

UtahsRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been lurking here for about six months now and have decided in order to learn more, I need to post pictures and have them evaluated.

Currently, I am using a Canon P&S (A560) until I decide that I am interested and capable enough to invest in better equipment. I already have one very expensive hobby, (I own horses) and I really need to be dedicated to this before I start dropping more money into a hobby.

Because of my first hobby, most of my pictures have revolved around horses and landscapes. Just recently, I have decided to expand to a few other things and am using the photo assignments section here to make me look for other things to photograph and other ways to view the ordinary.

Here is a sample of some recent stuff.

DRXBR-VPCRH-TyelerAug2008002-2.JPG

TIHAO-YKDEG-TyelerAug2008009-9.JPG

WVFRE-Cariboo%20001.jpg

Vacation059.jpg

PICT0733.JPG

Any constructive criticism is always welcome and I look forward to learning from all of you.

C&C per req:

1, 2. Very noisy images; not sure if that's due to compression, processing or what. Technically, the're acceptable, decent focus and exposure, but the subject matter isn't terribly interesting. For shots like this, you need to be down on the subject's level, and try to get them to look toward you. The fronts of people are always more interesting that the backs.

3. A nice composition, but somewhat over-exposed. To the most out this image, it should be shot earlier in the morning or later in the evening and using a circular polarizer. I'd also crop of some of the foreground off to bring the building "closer" to the front of the image.

4. This one is at least 1/2 stop under-exposed, and needs the shorline to be leveled. The used of graduated ND and/or circular polarizing filters would have greatly improved the overall image.

5. Nice, well captured. I like the composition, the stream leads the viewers eye into the image, and with the horse's head there, you feel like you are seeing what the rider saw. This one would have been improved I think if there was a little more of the horse's head visible.

Overall, some interesting work, with a few ideas for possible improvement. Looking forward to more.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

I dont believe it to be noisy. Te me it is either a compression issue or a small image has been enlarged with a cruddy image editing program

Thanks guys. That is the kind of input that I need.

Funny that you mention seeing what the rider saw, Tirediron. Pictures 3,4 and 5 were taken while mounted on the back of that horse.

Here's an attempt at cropping #3, better?
IWCEL-Building1.JPG

I do like that better; if you're back there again, you might be able to get some interesting shots framed through the windows of that old building.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back