Time to go lens shopping!

dharmabound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am the "photographer" for my school and have been okayed to get a flash and lens for my Nikon D60. Any suggestions? I am hoping to stay in the $200-$800 range. I shoot school events, kids goofing and having fun (action/portraits), school sporting events, and many indoor poor lighting events such as award ceremonies (my worst nightmare!)

I have the kit 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G. Will I take better images with a new lens, or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks!
Dharmabound

Welcome to the forum.

A 'faster' lens (larger maximum aperture) lens will certainly help...but really low light situations will probably still be a challenge.

I'll suggest two possibilities.
One is to get a lens to replace your kit lens. Something like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. It would replace your lens, but with a larger maximum aperture and probably better image quality.
The other suggestion would be for a prime (non zoom) lens. Something like a 50mm F1.8 or F1.4. This would help much more for lower light or action shots...but you'd have to 'zoom with your feet'.
Also, since the D60 doesn't have an internal AF motor, some Nikon lenses won't AF with it. So keep that in mind.

Keith, if I had 459 to spare, the first thing I would do is PM you.
That lens looks SWEET, and a fantastic deal as well. Argh! I need more cash!!

Most reactions

Back