Time to practice - product.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I love it when the UPS person drops off Adorama packages on my doorstep.

Today's delivery? The Xplor 400 Pro. Unbox it, charge the battery and set it up. Since I had the apple box that I burnt last week figured I might as well work on product photography this evening.

Going to be a nice addition to the lighting kit that I am building.

All of the shots were with the 1Dx and the Sigma 105mm Macro.

1) Same knife as I did last week. This time, I used the 400 with the 38" octabox overhead.

Knife-macro-16-Edit.jpg

2) Rum bottle. Used the light camera right behind the bottle with a reflector to the camera left of the box. The background is a piece of plywood that I burned last week at the same time as the apple box.

Bottle product practice-38.jpg

3) Same set up with lighting just changed the rum for red wine. This one is actually two images stacked to aid the cleanup of some lighting on the bottle.

Bottle product practice-57-Edit.jpg

IMO the rum and it’s colours are better suited to the background you used. Not sure why it’s just the burnt wood colours and the rum colours to me create an atmosphere, I can almost feel the breeze coming off the beach on some tropical island . If that was the effect that you were going for then ... you have nailed it!

I agree with Original katomi, the gold/yellow colors on the label and the colors of the rum itself match the gold/yellow colors in the wood, very nice work.
Why don't I do such great things with my Sigma 105, it's a pretty kick-arse lens. :confused:

Thanks. I switched the setup today and put the light above and a little behind, with a reflector on camera left and in front and a bounce card camera right. I think that it turned out much better than the ones above. I did use more room today to space out a little bit and make things a little better.

rum bottle day 2-19-Edit.jpg

rum bottle day 2-20-Edit.jpg

I think the lighting on these is stunning. Very professional looking photographs.

Very nice.

I like the lighting of the second set better. The highlights are more symmetrical.
The only thing I would consider doing different is use some white poster board on each side of the bottle so the highlights are white and not showing a reflection of the room. This really only shows on the rum bottle.

Well done on a set of great images.

I think the lighting on these is stunning. Very professional looking photographs.

Thank you.

Very nice.

I like the lighting of the second set better. The highlights are more symmetrical.
The only thing I would consider doing different is use some white poster board on each side of the bottle so the highlights are white and not showing a reflection of the room. This really only shows on the rum bottle.

Well done on a set of great images.

I have a white reflector and a white foam core on the sides of the bottle.

As above brill images. You could try Matt black sides to kill room reflections

Thank you, matte black will remove the lighting from the sides of the bottle as well.

I like the slightly darker bg, good job.

Thank you.

Congrats on the new purchase! I saw one of these photos come up in the Godox FB group the other day. Very nice shots, you picked some of the most difficult surfaces to photograph, both translucent and highly reflective. As zombiesniper mentioned, watch those reflections!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. So last night I decided to turn out the lights and reshoot some of these. I decided to use 3 lights this time along with 2 reflectors.

1) Another bottle in the cubbard.

Thanksgiving products-11-Edit.jpg

2) I am really liking shooting this bottle. It pops off the page to me.

Thanksgiving products-15-Edit.jpg

3) All clear is tricky but it works.

Thanksgiving products-20-Edit.jpg

4) A little focus stacking on this one.

Thanksgiving products-25-Edit.jpg

5) Some of my favorite wood here. My Gibson F-9 Mandolin. She's a keeper.

Thanksgiving products-41-Edit.jpg

These really turned out nice.

There are also some easter eggs for photographers. i.e. I know the two modifiers you were using on the lights and that one of them even had a grid. :eagerness:

Okay guys. Thanks to @smoke665 for the mention of cross polarization, I dug out an old CPL that I had to see what it would do on it's own. (I will have to order some of the film for the light.) I decided to revisit the Rum bottle. 1 with a black background and 1 with the tree as a background.

I know which one I like best, but what are your thoughts?

The CPL helped some but I think I need the film to make more of a difference. (I didn't use the grid this time though)

bottle-polarizer-test-30.jpg

Rum&CPL-12.jpg

Top one for me. If I had to choose for a product advertising

Most reactions

New Topics

Back