Time to upgrade...but can't decide!

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by TylerF, Jan 19, 2018.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    with portrait and product work I'm going to assume you are using off camera lighting. So the ISO ability doesn't really come into play.
    And with landscape, a sturdy tripod and remote release is more important factor than high ISO abilities.

If you want to do any type of sports/low light movement ... then the D850 comes up HUGE in that ability.

But the D750 is also a fine 24mp camera too. I like mine a lot.

2. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have considered the d750, that's actually where I started my research but then was drawn to the d810, and then onto the d850 lol.

I do use off camera lighting and understand iso performance isn't as important. But there will be times where im traveling or at some events so it would be nice to have the ability if needed.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

For the money the D850 does have some other upgrades other than just larger mp! 80% larger raw buffer size over D810, and 4.5x the size of D800e (at 14bit). Full stop higher ISO range. Faster frame rate than the older models without the grip. Another 2 shots faster with the grip. The metering sensor has twice the pixels as the older models. More advanced AF sensor. More advanced processor. Dedicated AF system (own processor). More AF points and cross points. D850 has 15 AF sensors with capability to F/8. D810 and D800E only has 1. D850 AF down to -4 ev. D810 and D800e is -2ev. While in live view you have option of touch AF, older models do not. Also new focus peaking on the D850. Lcd is nearly twice the resolution of the D810. Buttons are back lit (good for night / low light use). The only current bad issue is the need for XQD cards if you want to use both memory card slots. Can still use SD (UHD's). But XQD's are up in price as there is now a shortage.

The D850 is a big advance over the D810. The price difference is worth it. But the D810 is still a very good camera. But if your going by price. The D850 does give you extra performance for the higher price! It is actually the first digitial I have purchased when it was introduced. Normally I wait till they have been out / proven their worth. But this one they hit out of the park! (as of right now).

4. Sportrunner

Sportrunner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get the D850. It's what you want. That said, I strongly recommend that you rent lenses first before buying. Make sure that you are happy with the lens results before buying.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I'd buy a used D800 for $800-$975...the market is FLOODED with them right now, and D800e's are also low-cost. I dunno...coming from a D7000, a D800 is like night and DAY in terms of file quality and ISO capability improvement over the 16-MP, APS-C sensor the D7000 had.

I'd spend the money on LENSES...get some good lenses for portrait work. The 70-200 zoom is a good first choice, and the new Tamron G-2 70-200mm f/2.8 is inexpensive as 70-200 lenses go, and is getting rave,rave reviews. But I'd go even better-quality lens wise, as well.

I dunno'....to me, new bodies are never worth their cost. The buffer issue is way over-stated for portraits and landscape uses; there's ample buffer in the D800 for any portrait sessions a normal person would shoot. I'm pleased with the 36-MP D800 files, very crop-able, very high-detail.

Again, you can get these bodies for under $1,000 now at brick-and-mortar stores; I bought a D800 for $795 not long ago at walk-in retail. A used D7200 is $500 at the place I bought the D800 from.

I think you ought to consider a few used prime lenses and a used D800 body, as a much better overall, total use of money than a new, overpriced, 45-megapixel portrait camera. I'd rather have a D800, a 50mm/1.8, a 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, and 85/1.8, and a used 180/2.8 ED~IF Nikkor, and TWO other used lenses...rather than a just a high-cost, D850 body.

Lenses are where it's at. By the way....if you bought a used D800 for a good price, you could buy the new 105mm f/1.4 Nikkor and own one of the world's _finest portrait length lenses_, for a reasonable amount of money. I'm advocating spend less on the body, and buying more and better lenses.

6. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I fully am with you on the glass being more important than the body. The g2 tamarins have been getting amazing reviews. Buying used always makes me nervous. Also my main concern is the age of these cameras both new and used. The fact that they came out years ago isn’t something I should worry about. I’m leaning towards the D810 because as much as I hate to admit it, I’m not a professional getting paid (yet) so I probably don’t need that sort of body. But I do want a good camera that can produce large prints at good quality. Your post has me wondering about the d800/e now haha

Time to hit the books again.

• Like Like x 1