Time to upgrade...but can't decide!

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I did some searching on the forums and couldn't find an exact answer or discussion around my situation. Also been researching for months lol.

I currently have been shooting with my d7000 since 2011 and fear that it will soon meet it's end. I need a new body and have narrowed it down to the d810 and the d850. I shoot primarily portraits with the occasion product or landscape shots.

I want my next camera to last me a while like my d7000 has. So part of me wants to just buck up and get the d850 because it's gorgeous and the most current but the other part of me says to save the $1600 and get a d810. I am not a professional (yet) but still use my camera daily. I just don't want to regret "settling" for the d810.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

What kind of lenses do you have? If you have mostly DX glass, I think the D810 might be the right choice -- you could use that $1600 to pick up the appropriate FX lenses for the full frame camera.

Either will last you a long time...I wouldn't worry about that. I think you'd probably be happier with better glass with a great camera than crappy glass with the latest and greatest.

Also....maybe you want a full-frame camera in the same body size as your D7000?

New in Box -- Nikon D610

Haha...couldn't help myself. But I'd buy the D810.

What kind of lenses do you have? If you have mostly DX glass, I think the D810 might be the right choice -- you could use that $1600 to pick up the appropriate FX lenses for the full frame camera.

Either will last you a long time...I wouldn't worry about that. I think you'd probably be happier with better glass with a great camera than crappy glass with the latest and greatest.

Also....maybe you want a full-frame camera in the same body size as your D7000?

New in Box -- Nikon D610

Haha...couldn't help myself. But I'd buy the D810.

I'm currently just using the 35mm prime so I will be buying a new lens with either body. Looking at the tamron 70-200 2.8. I know they will both last long physically but I meant more so in terms of the performance/technology. I do like the resolution and 4k video of the d850 but will the d810 suit me fine and I'm just having G.A.S? That's my dilemma lol

The D800E is a good value right now. Just throwing it out there.

Which 35mm prime? One of them is only good on DX cameras.

You're coming from 16mp. I think that the amount of cropping you are going to be able to do with 36mp is going to blow your mind, haha. And if video is something you're considering, you might be better off spending the extra cash on a video specific camera, honestly. I haven't looked for any information on using the D850 for video, but in general, Nikon isn't known for being a great platform for video.

Which 35mm prime? One of them is only good on DX cameras.

You're coming from 16mp. I think that the amount of cropping you are going to be able to do with 36mp is going to blow your mind, haha. And if video is something you're considering, you might be better off spending the extra cash on a video specific camera, honestly. I haven't looked for any information on using the D850 for video, but in general, Nikon isn't known for being a great platform for video.

DX 35mm. So this will be a whole new setup basically. Been toying with the idea of a 24-70 instead of the 70-200 but regardless, a new lens will be bought either way. I know the d810 is a huge resolution bump and still does fine video, but the d850 has been getting such good reviews it's hard not to look at it. I have always wanted to make huge prints but I'm sure they both will offer that ablility. I'm just trying to future-proof myself as much as possible. Video isn't something I plan on doing enough to warrant a dedicated camera however. I'm leaning toward the d810 but if I'm going to spend this much, why not just go for the d850 though it may take a little longer to get.

I know this is all trivial and the gear doesn't matter, I just don't want to regret not saving a little more for the d850.

I shoot Canon and honestly that D850 when announced had me considering trading in and up it. Seems like it would be the new winner in the "jack-of-all-trades" category for dslr cameras.

I came from a d7000 (d70 before it). I then added a D600 FX, D750 FX, D500 DX, D7200 DX

The d800 series is a great camera.
The D800 E has the moire thing removed for better detail.
The D810 the latest iteration before it jumped up in capability to the D850.

There's a recent review of a D600 vs D800. D800 vs. D610 Review

I'd go with the D800E to save money. If more longevity is more of a concern then go with the D850 as it has more bells and whistles of current technology.

Although ... The file size is large in the D8x0 so the fast bus and cards of the D850 will NOT make you yearning for something faster in the save time functionality, plus you could use your SD cards in it too and the buffer will absorb the wait time.

so .. I'd go for the D850 is you have the cash for the body and FX lenses.

Keep in mind. The higher resolution sensor DOES require you to have the higher rendering lenses to go with it. A current Tamron 70-200 should be fine.

I remember using my 70-300AF lens on my D7000 and it was pretty good. On the D600 it was mush. So be prepared to buy GOOD glass. If you look at the 85/1.8 AF-S G that one was designed to handle the high IQ of the D8x0 series. That is one thing that holds me back from getting a D8x0 is my lenses, thus why I opted to add a D7200 in the end for the DX "zoom" instead of a D800e.

The D800E is a good value right now. Just throwing it out there.

yeah once the D850 came out, the D800/D800E have flooded the used market and the prices are pretty damn great. Compare the D800/D810/D850 and see what feature:cost you really need.

I would have preferred a D810 for a few of the improvements, but the cost was still keeping me out of the market for it.

I came from a d7000 (d70 before it). I then added a D600 FX, D750 FX, D500 DX, D7200 DX

The d800 series is a great camera.
The D800 E has the moire thing removed for better detail.
The D810 the latest iteration before it jumped up in capability to the D850.

There's a recent review of a D600 vs D800. D800 vs. D610 Review

I'd go with the D800E to save money. If more longevity is more of a concern then go with the D850 as it has more bells and whistles of current technology.

Although ... The file size is large in the D8x0 so the fast bus and cards of the D850 will NOT make you yearning for something faster in the save time functionality, plus you could use your SD cards in it too and the buffer will absorb the wait time.

so .. I'd go for the D850 is you have the cash for the body and FX lenses.

Keep in mind. The higher resolution sensor DOES require you to have the higher rendering lenses to go with it. A current Tamron 70-200 should be fine.

I remember using my 70-300AF lens on my D7000 and it was pretty good. On the D600 it was mush. So be prepared to buy GOOD glass. If you look at the 85/1.8 AF-S G that one was designed to handle the high IQ of the D8x0 series. That is one thing that holds me back from getting a D8x0 is my lenses, thus why I opted to add a D7200 in the end for the DX "zoom" instead of a D800e.

Thanks for the input. I do plan on buying a few pieces of good glass. probably the 24-70 and 70-200. would like one of those to be the nikon model but the new tamrons have gotten stellar reviews.
I am aiming more towards portrait work with the occasion landscape for fun and products shots as well.

I havne't looked into the d800e much I believe, the iso was improved wuite a bit with the d810 which was a reason I was leaning towards that. I really wish I wasn't longing for the d850 lol. I will realistically probably save myself the $1500 and get the d810 but I guess I just wanted peoples opinions on the d810 vs the d850. I think I'm getting caught up in being fancy lol.

the D850 is amazing, it's really a matter of cost:benefit

Have you considered the d750. I mean 24 mp is probably enough for most, it has the better after system and the image quality benefits of fx with the flippy screen and leaves you money for better lenses.

I don't know, the new d8xx are fab looking but probably overkill for a lot of needs

with portrait and product work I'm going to assume you are using off camera lighting. So the ISO ability doesn't really come into play.
And with landscape, a sturdy tripod and remote release is more important factor than high ISO abilities.

If you want to do any type of sports/low light movement ... then the D850 comes up HUGE in that ability.

But the D750 is also a fine 24mp camera too. I like mine a lot.

with portrait and product work I'm going to assume you are using off camera lighting. So the ISO ability doesn't really come into play.
And with landscape, a sturdy tripod and remote release is more important factor than high ISO abilities.

If you want to do any type of sports/low light movement ... then the D850 comes up HUGE in that ability.

But the D750 is also a fine 24mp camera too. I like mine a lot.

I have considered the d750, that's actually where I started my research but then was drawn to the d810, and then onto the d850 lol.

I do use off camera lighting and understand iso performance isn't as important. But there will be times where im traveling or at some events so it would be nice to have the ability if needed.

For the money the D850 does have some other upgrades other than just larger mp! 80% larger raw buffer size over D810, and 4.5x the size of D800e (at 14bit). Full stop higher ISO range. Faster frame rate than the older models without the grip. Another 2 shots faster with the grip. The metering sensor has twice the pixels as the older models. More advanced AF sensor. More advanced processor. Dedicated AF system (own processor). More AF points and cross points. D850 has 15 AF sensors with capability to F/8. D810 and D800E only has 1. D850 AF down to -4 ev. D810 and D800e is -2ev. While in live view you have option of touch AF, older models do not. Also new focus peaking on the D850. Lcd is nearly twice the resolution of the D810. Buttons are back lit (good for night / low light use). The only current bad issue is the need for XQD cards if you want to use both memory card slots. Can still use SD (UHD's). But XQD's are up in price as there is now a shortage.

The D850 is a big advance over the D810. The price difference is worth it. But the D810 is still a very good camera. But if your going by price. The D850 does give you extra performance for the higher price! It is actually the first digitial I have purchased when it was introduced. Normally I wait till they have been out / proven their worth. But this one they hit out of the park! (as of right now).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back