Time to upgrade: D7000 or D300s?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Assuming price isn't an issue. The one thing I don't want to do though is spend money only for Nikon to upgrade the camera next year. I've read rumors that the D300/s is due for an upgrade soon

-How much better are the 51 AF points than the 39 of the D7k? I tend to use autofocus a lot and in semi low light conditions
-Low light performance is VERY important for me as I love nighttime street photography. I currently have a D3100 and can get okay shots at ISO 1600, but beyond that is poor

This is a pretty common topic here, a quick thread search will give you volumes of debate on the subject. I have never used the D300s but I love my D7k and haven't once regretted getting it. One of the D7k's biggest assets is it ability to handle low light really well. It is also important to remember that good glass is at least as important if not more so than the body itself in terms of low light performance.

The D300s will be replaced within the next 8 months if not within the next month, the D7000 won't be supersede for atleast another 18 months. So on that basis alone I would go for the D7000.

From what I've read the D300s has equally good ISO performance as the D7000.

it has been discussed. i shoot with a D700 and got a D7000 for a backup. GREAT CAMERA. however, for me, I need to go back and forth quickly with 2 bodies and the D7000 was too awkward when you're used to a D200/D700. button/lever placement is everything when you are working fast (wedding or candid shoot). i sold my D7000 in favor of a D300s. The D7000 is a good camera that takes amazing photos. But, it is more of a pumped-up consumer body. Things that matter to a "pro" may not be needed at all for casual family shots. the D300s will give you larger buffer, faster frame rate, better AF, and extra bulk for when you slam it against the wall or lay it down fast. I never appreciated how much a camera gets beat on until I started shooting professionally. even as a part-time pro, my bodies take some beatings at times.

BOTH WILL PRODUCE THE SAME EXCELLENT IMAGES, and i would even give the edge to the D7000 at 6400 ISO. however, you have to ask yourself what "YOU" need. If I am shooting at 6400 ISO then even with f/2.8 glass, the lighting is probably pretty horrid and it will take some hard work. so, 3200 or 6400 ISO does not really make or break a camera to me.

I am no expert but to me, the d7k is like an upgraded d90. I prefer the setting buttons in the d300s, it is handy especially if the environment keeps changing.

The body of 300s is also more solid and pro feel. Assign your own settings in the d7k for pre-set buttons?

Not being a big fan of a movie mode in DSLR's, if it came to choosing between the D7K and the D300S, I'd pick the D300S. Hopefully, Nikon will make another D300 type camera, although I won't hold my breath on that. Movie mode is probably fine for a consumer type camera, but I find it a waste of money for something I'd never use. But hey........that's just me. :)

The D7000 has much better high ISO quality. There are enough tests performed online to document this.
The D300s will be replaced within the next 8 months if not within the next month, the D7000 won't be supersede for atleast another 18 months. So on that basis alone I would go for the D7000.

From what I've read the D300s has equally good ISO performance as the D7000.

Most reactions

Back