Timeless

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey gang :) I'd love to hear some feedback on this image. It's something I shot a while back, and it's similar to other shots. I took it into photoshop and coverted it to B&W, added a vignette, and some texture around the vignette, to "age" the photo, as if it had gotten dirty over the years. Do you like the effect? Is it overdone? What's your opinion of the overall image? Any critique would be appreciated. This is the first time I've done any kind of manipulation like this.

Tech: 20D - f/8, 1/40, ISO 100.

timeless.jpg

I reall like the shot... and the added effect.
i'm not one to like landscape shots, but it immediately struck me... w/o reading your text, I thought it was a vintage shot from a book...

IMO the vignette is over done on top haft, also the soft/blur area at left center seems wrong to me, but I do like the vignette and sharpness in the bottom haft

Thanks Jeff. I agree that the top left looks overdone, but most of that is the actual picture, with no vignette. The sky is black. I'm not sure what to do with that.

I don't know what soft/blur area you mean. I better load up the full res version and look. I can't see anything here.

Thanks again :)

Looks almost like a painting. Exellent picture. I sort of do and don't like the black thing going around the shot at the same time. I think your blacked out too much a little on the left. Overall, I like the mood of the shot and the landscape. Good Job

Oh, Matt, I hate saying I don't like something about it, because I love the windblown look of the image itself. It does have a glorious, timeless feel to it. I just don't like the vignetting you worked so hard on, especially the right upper corner and side....too much for me, it's pulling my eyes OFF the image, so that translates into overdone. :( I love the dark sky and the strange light of the picture, it's just beautiful. I appreciate wanting to burn in the edges a bit to add some drama, and the left side of the picture is much more appealing than the right.

Frankly, I don't think this image needed much to improve it, but I know how you like to play. ;) Get in the darkroom already; you're going to be a master some day. :razz:

i think it's great! im pretty sure whatever i would say about the photo itself you would already know (i cant think of anything). about the editing however, there are a couple things i think could be different (from reading other people's comments, it might just be me). I think the vignetting is good (although it's more like light fall-off rather than actual vignetting) but that 'aged' stuff is not good in my opinion, especially on the top right. It looks edited. Just like you brushed over it with a special tool in photoshop and that's it. I think the image would say just as much if not more without that rough stuff. It would make for a more real and subtle image. A little bit of highlighting on the post and some of the foreground grass, and that's all i think it needs! great image here. you need to post more, i'm missing your stuff.

Maybe it's just me, but when I see old photos (or aged shots), I like to see more of a story. You know, a person who is long gone or something that might not be around any more. While this is a nice landscape, I think the aging diminishes it.

I do like the "Holga" type of feel to it but the extra brushing really does nothing for me.

I have come to this picture over and again, but what still bugs me is the "modern sharpness" that goes with the old look that is created by the vignette. Those two things don't go together, in my mind.

This is not to say that the scenery as such did not appeal to me.
Only do I find that as fine a texture as can be seen in the fence post can only created and shown online digitally, and that just does not go with the vignetting.

I have come to this picture over and again, but what still bugs me is the "modern sharpness" that goes with the old look that is created by the vignette. Those two things don't go together, in my mind.

This is not to say that the scenery as such does not appeal to me.
Only do I find that as fine a texture as can be seen in the fence post can only created and shown online digitally, and that just does not go with the vignetting.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks Jeff. --------I don't know what soft/blur area you mean. I better load up the full res version and look. I can't see anything here.-----Thanks again :)

sorry that center right not center left, i'm talking about the tree line

Most reactions

New Topics

Back