timers

aggiezach

Yup...
Reaction score
Website
jessandzach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I think my timer is going out on me and I'm gonna start looking for a new one. I'll have to get it used on ebay becuase I really can't afford a brand new one (geez they are expensive) So my question is this, should I go for one of the mechanical GraLab Timers or are the digital timers good enough? Any suggestions or advice! Thanks!

Zach :D

I use the Graylab timers (the standard square ones with the round face)for processing film and prints, but I don't like them for enlarger timers because they reset to zero each time. I like a timer that stays at whatever time I set it at, so I don't have to keep track.

Also the digital timers make it easy to time for fractions of a second. For instance if I know my dry down is 12%, and I like the wet print at 10 sec, then I can set my timer to 8.8 sec accurately.

I found tons of Gralab timers on eBay and bought an immaculate one for about $15. I totally agree with what Matt is saying about Gralabs for prints and film processing. I wouldn't want to try one for enlarging. I was taught on a digital timer and got really spoiled with the precision of it.

My old Chromega timer with my enlarger gives me no visual "countdown" to watch, and I realized how much I'd come to depend on that, especially when dodging and burning a tricky print ("when it gets down to 12 seconds I'll start dodging here, at 5 seconds move over here"). I've barely started on it, though, so I guess I'm going to devise a way to incorporate the Gralab when doing stuff like that.

Anyone ever heard of KEARSARGE timers? Are they any good? I'm looking at a buy-it-now on the 201 model. It looks to be in perfect condition? Any thoughts or comments ?

Kearsarge 201! It's great, I love it! and all this time I've thought it was a Kearsage... well I never look at it in the light and the name doesn't glow... :p

Got the Kearsarge 201 in the mail today! LOVE IT! Its so precise and easy to use! I love the fact that it resets the time so all you have to do is hit the print button! Excellent timer! Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: up

Most reactions

New Topics

Back