Tips and advice for shooting teenagers?

eyeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a job shooting several teenagers. So far, my primary experience has been with kids under 5. Could anyone offer up tips for working with teenagers? The few times I have, I have known them prior to the shoot, so it was easy to just joke around with them. In this upcoming shoot I will have about 30 minutes per teenager.

Thanks!

Just keep talking to them, let them know what you're going for, and really try to connect with them. Make them apart of the shoot as much as you are, this will ease the tension and give you better shots. You may also need to take a few minutes to show them your shots that you did get of them, tell them if they look good, etc. You can just tell by looking at the photos if there was a relationship between the photographer and client. You really need to strive to build that rapport with everyone you shoot and it will just make things go a lot smoother. Goodluck!

Tips and advice for shooting teenagers? lol make sure they are in season and you have a permit.

Big calibers make more of a mess.

You should brush up on your slang.

Teens love it when adults "speak their language".

Chairman (ducking)

I am a teenager and I do mostly senior work. I personaly feel that keeping an on-going while your posing them, stop to smile, conversation with them always seems to get the best, most comfortable shots. I like to joke, talk about the the newest, coolest, movies, songs, ect. Ask them to pose for me a few times, to get their style, that sort of thing. The one thing with males though, is that their smile wears out quickly, an easy cure for a nice smile is a quick laugh. It brings the best smiles every time and looks natural/un-forced.

You should brush up on your slang.

Teens love it when adults "speak their language".

Chairman (ducking)

Actually I think they hate it when adults try to do this. It seems a bit immature and condescending...almost like you're trying to imitate them and you actually are.

The best advice is to just talk to them like a friend, be nice, maybe ask their opinions, joke around with them. Most times when they are getting shot, they feel like an idiot because they dont know what to do or where to go, if you're joking around and poking fun at yourself a little, it takes the edge off and makes it seem like you're the idiot so they relax and you get great photos. Take a series of shots, then stop and talk to them, tell them you like what they are doing, show some shots, etc. Its not too hard.

Yes, bdavis, I know. I was just jesting. (that's why I ducked!) :)

Your advice below is excellent though, I think it's great advice for just about all photoshoots. Great stuff.

Actually I think they hate it when adults try to do this. It seems a bit immature and condescending...almost like you're trying to imitate them and you actually are.

The best advice is to just talk to them like a friend, be nice, maybe ask their opinions, joke around with them. Most times when they are getting shot, they feel like an idiot because they dont know what to do or where to go, if you're joking around and poking fun at yourself a little, it takes the edge off and makes it seem like you're the idiot so they relax and you get great photos. Take a series of shots, then stop and talk to them, tell them you like what they are doing, show some shots, etc. Its not too hard.

Guess I'm not familiar with the ducking thing. But if you really want some interesting expressions from teens just start speaking their lingo back to them lol :lol:

Most reactions

Back