Tips for a longer lasting camera?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Nikon coolpix L120. As new as I am this is the first camera I've really cared about holding on to. Any general tips or precautions I should take? What about memory card care? Any reading material welcome. :)

Generally speaking nothing specific for the camera save for typical precautions you'd take with any delicate electrical device. That is don't get it seriously wet (a few spots of rain shouldn't hurt, but if its raining proper get it under some cover); don't store it in a highly humid and moist environment; don't abuse it physically and clean the lens every so often, but don't go too mad about it.

Note if cleaning avoid compressed air, use natural air through a blower such as a rocket blower. The compressed air (unless its specific special types) often has oils and other liquids inside and does not blow out only clean air; thus using it on delicate surfaces (eg glass on the lens) and you'll fast end up with spots and oily specs all over it

Memory card wise you should format the card in the camera (not in your computer) regularly (most use formatting as the delete function). If the card fails it fails, though there is data restoration software out there (sandisk cards come with this on a CD typically - or at least a registration code for download and use of the software).

Any general tips or precautions I should take? What about memory card care? Any reading material welcome. :)
You want us to do the internet searching for you?OK.Digital camera care - BingMemory card care - Bing
Why does everyone assume we're lazy when we ask a question like this? Sometimes we just really respect the people's opinion on here more and feel like they'll know more of what's a valid resource then we would. Anyone can find a website, but people further along will know what holdsmore validity then others. I also said a resource was fine because everyone has talking about how the noobs should be willing to read the material. You should take it as a compliment :) .

..... I also said a resource was fine because everyone has talking about how the noobs should be willing to read the material. You should take it as a compliment :) .
Look here. Page 125.

Why does everyone assume we're lazy when we ask a question like this?
It's called taking ownership. While there is some validity in your question, it is much too vague and shows little research on your part. If there is something in particular about your concerns, then it is worth asking more specific. Other than that, it is a common sense approach to any other electronic device.

Don't wash it in the dishwasher.

[h=2]Tips for a longer lasting camera?[/h]

You already took my tip, you own a Nikon
iconstirthepot.gif
iconstirthepot.gif
iconstirthepot.gif

Never take it out of the box.

Be really careful when you go to beach. I drop my P&S in the sand couple years ago.:(

Be really careful when you go to beach. I drop my P&S in the sand couple years ago.:(
You're doing well today Richard. That would be a more specific concern to be questioned. :thumbsup:

Any general tips or precautions I should take? What about memory card care? Any reading material welcome. :)
You want us to do the internet searching for you?OK.Digital camera care - BingMemory card care - Bing
Why does everyone assume we're lazy when we ask a question like this? Sometimes we just really respect the people's opinion on here more and feel like they'll know more of what's a valid resource then we would. Anyone can find a website, but people further along will know what holdsmore validity then others. I also said a resource was fine because everyone has talking about how the noobs should be willing to read the material. You should take it as a compliment :) .

You know, she's got some very solid, reasonable points. The web is FILLED with total BS and half-truths...and her reply shows some real cajones too!!

I thought Overread's reply was spot-on. And, Kundalini has a point too, about treating it like any other electronic device.

I've been a camera user for over 35 years. Here are a couple other things: 1) Do NOT LOAN IT OUT and 2)DO NOT drop it repeatedly and 3) Do NOT LOAN IT OUT and 4) Do NOT LOAN IT OUT. I speak from experience on the Do Not Loan It Out thing...I wish I took my own advice on that more often, but I am actually a generous guy (despite what you might think). Unless the borrower is a very responsible, trusted,capable,ethical person well-versed in proper camera handling and care, loaning out of delicate things like Point and Shoots, flash heads, and expensive,heavy multi-element lenses is a recipe for repair bills, acrimony, and 'eff'd up gear...

For some reason, people forget this is a discussion forum, and take every question as a personal insult. That's what I've been trying to stress, if you don't like the contents of a thread, click your browser's back button. No one is making you guys answer questions. Beyond that, the point that blackrose made is totally valid (for once ;) ). When I am interested in a topic, I will ask a question here about it, and while waiting for a reply I will search around the internet. What you knowledgeable folks fail to realize is, not all resources are reliable... beyond that this forum itself is a resource, and no one should feel bad for asking a question, no matter how redundant.

For some reason, people forget this is a discussion forum [...]
And what would we be discussing if all we did was google stuff? (Not directed at you.)

Most reactions

Back