Tips for Cold Weather Photography

I live in Northern New Hampshire and it is quite cold over here. During the holidays, I spent about 1 hour out in the cold (0F) with my 70-200 lens after that it stopped focusing on my Nikon D600, I don't know still if it is a cold related problem or a problem with either the lens or the camera, I could hear a hissing sound while the lens was trying uselessly to focus.

When I came back inside, I waited a few hours and tried the lens again ( it was not very warm yet) it still made a hissing noise, then I decided to try it on my D90, it made the same sound for a few seconds and started to work properly right after. I re-attached it to the D600 and it worked fine.

So I don't know if you can encounter the same problem, or if what happened to me is normal or not... I need to inquire some more.
I would definitely recommend that you have a warm bag to store your camera in, and keep it as warm as possible.
Hello mr. mifluer , I am Dubai based photographer right now I am reading your thread and I have some suggestion for your problem. You can do Basic Equipment Care
Start by checking your camera's manual under “Specifications” for the temperature range
Most manufactures will not guarantee proper function of their equipment below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. In cold settings, keep the camera in an inside pocket near your body or a protective pouch when not in use. With your camera you will likely have to remove the lens as you are shooting, so use a body cap and rear lens cover to keep out dust, fibers, snow, rain, etc. When ready to travel, you can use chemical heat envelopes to warm equipment up in the camera bag before transferring to an inside pocket.
You should Avoid Condensation because it is very harm full for your camera.
if you want other suggestion than i am here for your help.

thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back