Tips For Holding A Camera Steady

@Designer I watched the videos you sent, and really want to practice a couple of those ideas. They might help when I don't have the tripod, if I can get comfortable with the positions.

I experimented with the cord idea, using a braided cord with a center core, that I thought wouldn't give as much. Unfortunately it gives just enough, that it's difficult to find the point where there's enough pressure to stabilize and not enough to cause more. Still experimenting with it.

Also, looking at monopod options.

.. using a braided cord with a center core, ..
Is that parachute cord? I think I may have some around here someplace, and I intend to make one of those things soon.

.. using a braided cord with a center core, ..
Is that parachute cord? I think I may have some around here someplace, and I intend to make one of those things soon.

No this was a braided nylon line with a cotton strand core. 550 Paracord (braided nylon) will stretch "alot", which would be kind of like trying to stretch a rubber band out and hold it steady. There's a braided line called AmSteel which doesn't stretch made out of polyester. Has a lot of marine uses because it floats. Thought I had some but couldn't find it. Not that expensive to get some more.

I took up Archery as a side hobby to learn to steady and get my muscles less twitchy. Maybe that'll help.

I have the same problem and, quite honestly, I have found that none of the suggestions really work. As long as your hand is on the camera, it is going to shake. Even when holding a monopod it still shakes unless you actually brace the monopod against something stable like a railing or a fence. If I really want sharp pictures I have resigned myself to using a tripod or a bean bag.

I have the same problem and, quite honestly, I have found that none of the suggestions really work. As long as your hand is on the camera, it is going to shake. Even when holding a monopod it still shakes unless you actually brace the monopod against something stable like a railing or a fence. If I really want sharp pictures I have resigned myself to using a tripod or a bean bag.

Know what you mean. I have good days and bad days. On the good days, I could hand hold a 300 mm with no shake. On the bad days even using a tripod, I can't use manual focus, but at least I can use the remote and A/F. We learn to adjust.

No this was a braided nylon line with a cotton strand core. 550 Paracord (braided nylon) will stretch "alot", which would be kind of like trying to stretch a rubber band out and hold it steady. There's a braided line called AmSteel which doesn't stretch made out of polyester. Has a lot of marine uses because it floats. Thought I had some but couldn't find it. Not that expensive to get some more.
Yesterday afternoon I was out anyway, so I obtained the materials to make a cord brace. My day for messing around is Sunday, so I will make it then.

I have a little situation, it started showing up a few years ago, and gets better/worse at unpredictable times. It's called Essential Tremor - a nervous system (neurological) disorder that causes involuntary and rhythmic shaking. It can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands. So far have managed it without drugs, and intend to keep it that way if at all possible. I'm told its not an uncommon problem, however, at times it's almost impossible for me to hand hold a camera and get a sharp shot. One of the issues is concentration can cause it to be worse!

If I'm using a tripod I can either use the remote to focus/shoot, or use manual focus on live view to bump it into focus, but I can't always carry a tripod. Used breathing control which helps sometimes. Thought of trying a monopod, but not sure if that would be the answer. Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Are there other types of supports that might work?

I have a very similar problem in that I have an neck tremor but its more complicated then your normal essential tremor. I was originally diagnosed with dystonia. I got a second opinion and the upshot was I didn't have dystonia but I have a 1 in a million condition and ipso facto there is no other person in my country who has this, population about 5 million. my condition is neither constant nor very predictable but like you I can identify certain times when I do get a overcome, its why I don't care at all for portraits or group shots.

I don't much to offer but I have some idea of your difficulties .

You could also try shooting on a mirrorless (or via liveview on a dslr) and have the strap around your neck with your arms extended outward to create a brace of sorts. Works great for low light shots for me. Shorten the neck strap so your arms don't have to extend so far out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back