Tips for photographing water

So to bring somewhat closure to this thread, I have since shot water drops with slightly different sets to find what works. Funny, the solution was changing to one of my older lenses, but my only one with MACRO setting. It was my 70-300mm f/3.5-4, one I hadn't used in several years. With this lens, I had to set my camera a few feet further back than before, thus increasing my depth of field.

This was shot at ISO200 f/29 1/250 at 250mm. I used only my SB600 speedlight aimed at the white reflective backdrop and on board camera flash.
$DSC_8929-Edit-M.jpg

So I tried my shots again with the wine glass and water and am still not satisfied with the results. Wondering if anyone can chime in on how I can get more of the splashed water in focus.

This shot is with a similar set up as the previous water drop photo: ISO200, F/40, 1/250 at 250mm. Camera is about 4 feet from subject with manual focus on middle of glass. I used a cable shutter release to reduce camera shake and of course, set on a tripod. One strobe was used and aimed at reflective white backdrop and bounced onto the water.
$DSC_8995-Edit-L.jpg
So the glass itself is in focus, but I am wanting more of the water in focus. From the depth of field calculator, I should have about 2 inches of DOF but do not seem to be actually getting that. Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Back