Tips for Reviewing Photos on camera in bright sun?

I curve my hand into a makeshift sun shield.

Now, one REAllY IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind about shooting under bright sunny conditions, especially near marine type environments: make SURe that sun rays striking near the eyepiece do NOT allow sunlight into the eyepiece, and inflate the meter's readings. this is a very,very common issue in situations where the sun is really strong, and might be "bounced" off of water, or sand, or whatnot.

Runnah's comment about the hand being used as a makeshift sun shield brought this to mind. Because when you are shooting where the LCD review is basically useless, it's bright out. And when it''s bright out, it's easy to skip reviewing and just shoot by the meter readings. But man...when that ole sun sends light into the area between your face and the eyepiece, you need to make sure it does not over-inflate the meter readings, leading to under-exposure.

I curve my hand into a makeshift sun shield.

Now, one REAllY IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind about shooting under bright sunny conditions, especially near marine type environments: make SURe that sun rays striking near the eyepiece do NOT allow sunlight into the eyepiece, and inflate the meter's readings. this is a very,very common issue in situations where the sun is really strong, and might be "bounced" off of water, or sand, or whatnot.

Runnah's comment about the hand being used as a makeshift sun shield brought this to mind. Because when you are shooting where the LCD review is basically useless, it's bright out. And when it''s bright out, it's easy to skip reviewing and just shoot by the meter readings. But man...when that ole sun sends light into the area between your face and the eyepiece, you need to make sure it does not over-inflate the meter readings, leading to under-exposure.

Now that is a pro tip.

I have a D5300 and you must use the screen for video - no other way. Outdoors in the sun you might as well just put the camera on Auto, back off the zoom and point it because you can't see the screen unless you're under a full hood. I takes great HD video but framing and focus are a crap shoot.
The histogram is also my favorite and most useful tool. You can maybe see that if the brightness is all the way up.

I've been known to use a jacket to shied the sun. When it's hot, a towel or even taking my shirt off works. Getting familiar with blinkies and the histogram will help as well. Shooting in RAW of course. ;)

Ah! That is annoying. I wear hoodies all the time so I just pull myself inside to review what I just shot. It don't help in the summer months though. It is very frustrating.

Just try to review in a shadow. The only limit for that approach is your own imagination.

You wouldn't have this problem if you'd would only shoot at night or on cloudy days. :mrgreen:

On a more serious note, check your LCD brightness. My camera defaulted to the middle brightness setting... so sometimes I have to turn it up. Having done that, I usually don't have a problem seeing the display. There are, of course, lots of good tips about about shielding and hoods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back