tips for sharper photos

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. i am having a hard time getting razor sharp photos...like a really hard time. I use a tripod, set me aperture to a high number, get the shutter speed correct and even use the timer so I dont touch it. Still nothing is razor sharp.

any advice?

depending on what camera you have, sometime the default out of camera pictures are "soft" and you would have to post process to make them sharper. Perhaps you could post an example.

here is a few / the first couple i forgot to change my iso so i know its super high and there is some noise. but the third has better settings and is still not all that sharp. I have a rebel xti
onemore3rds.jpg

park.jpg

park098.jpg

There are really sharp areas in them.....what F stop were they shot at?

Where were these taken?....that is a nice shot with the Houston Med Center in the backround!! We must be close to eachother

Freedbaby

they all are around f/25 i believe
the first one is the Japanese garden t Hermann park and the second is Hermann park looking south. the third is Russ pitman park in ballaire.

I live in the meyerland area. you?

The third picture is at ISO 400, I think you could accomplish a good shot at ISO 200.

part of your problem is you're shooting at f/25. Many lenses show their sharpest results at f/8-f/11 and get softer as you stray either side from those numbers. Try shooting at f/8 and see what you get.

part of your problem is you're shooting at f/25. Many lenses show their sharpest results at f/8-f/11 and get softer as you stray either side from those numbers. Try shooting at f/8 and see what you get.
I have to agree with this completely the majority of lenses I own are the sharpest at F8-11 also. I would try that first and set your camera from there.

Noise reduction can help, depending on how you do it tho. Noise ninja is my favorite.

I was using different lenses...i think my 70-300 f/4 in the first two (although maybe my 50mm f/1.8. last photo is the 18-55 lens (with IS)

I will try with a medium ap...but I am suppose to have a closed ap for homework and it is suppose to be tack sharp...and I cant seem to get it right

i am going to get noise ninja for my birthday I think. My brother showed me an amazing fix on an old photo.

I was using different lenses...i think my 70-300 f/4 in the first two (although maybe my 50mm f/1.8. last photo is the 18-55 lens (with IS)

I will try with a medium ap...but I am suppose to have a closed ap for homework and it is suppose to be tack sharp...and I cant seem to get it right

the 50mm should be plenty sharp enough. i have the same lens.

did you try mirror lock up or shoot using a tripod?

what is a mirror lock?

The last one is a tripod with the is lens

what is a mirror lock?

When you shoot a pic with an SLR, the mirror which directs the ligth to the viewfinder has to get out of the way to the sensor. This movement is quite fast and can make the camera shake a bit. Most cameras let you lock the mirror up first, then shoot when the vibration is over. This is usable in some cases, only.

Most reactions

Back