Tips for shooting at a football game

vivalavieboheme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm a college student at a large university where football is a pretty big deal. I have season tickets for the student section, meaning often somewhat blocked views. I'd like to take some decent photos of the football players, marching band, etc. and will be shooting with a Panasonic point and shoot (hopefully the 'rents will get me a DSLR for birthday). Any tips?

Ok, I'm a college student at a large university where football is a pretty big deal. I have season tickets for the student section, meaning often somewhat blocked views. I'd like to take some decent photos of the football players, marching band, etc. and will be shooting with a Panasonic point and shoot (hopefully the 'rents will get me a DSLR for birthday). Any tips?

You might want to check if your future camera will be allowed at the game. If you are at a large university, you may need a photo pass in order to shoot with good gear.

You might want to check if your future camera will be allowed at the game. If you are at a large university, you may need a photo pass in order to shoot with good gear.

I'm almost certain that all still cameras (DLSRs included) are permitted at any NCAA sporting event. Video cameras are a different story.

I'm almost certain that all still cameras (DLSRs included) are permitted at any NCAA sporting event. Video cameras are a different story.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it looks like cameras with detachable lenses and cameras with lenses longer than 4" are not allowed. Video cameras do seem to be consistently disallowed, so if your dSLR has that feature it could be a concern.

Okay, well no matter what camera I bring, any tips on shooting itself? Moving subjects?

I've always found getting as close as you can to the action and anticipating what going to happen. Shoot with as fast a shutter speed you gear will allow and multiple frames. That will give you the best chance at a great shot.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it looks like cameras with detachable lenses and cameras with lenses longer than 4" are not allowed. Video cameras do seem to be consistently disallowed, so if your dSLR has that feature it could be a concern.

I brought my camera to every game last year, and they never said a word to me. They didn't even search my camera bag for contraband.

--
Sent from my HTC Pyramid.

Speaking from past experience, point and shoot cameras make it nearly impossible to get good action shots on the field. Too far, and too much movement. You can however get some good stadium/crowd pics. Depending on where the student section is and when you get to the game you can usually walk around and get some decent pictures of players warming up and on the sidelines as well. But action shots during the game will be tough. I'm guessing PSU?

Out of curiosity... are there any legal issues with taking pictures at a collegiate game and posting them as your own property.
Say I take some pictures at a game and someone wants to buy one of the pictures... am I allowed to sell it? Sorry OP, not trying to derail your thread.

Out of curiosity... are there any legal issues with taking pictures at a collegiate game and posting them as your own property.
Say I take some pictures at a game and someone wants to buy one of the pictures... am I allowed to sell it? Sorry OP, not trying to derail your thread.

Yes, you can sell it, and you can post it on a personl web page. Displaying photos on a personal web page, and selling photos, is considered an editorial use as long as the photo is not mass distributed. If the entity you sold the photo to uses the photo for a commercial purpose, then the buyer and publisher of the photo is then legally liable, though the photographer may also get sued.

Speaking from past experience, point and shoot cameras make it nearly impossible to get good action shots on the field. Too far, and too much movement. You can however get some good stadium/crowd pics. Depending on where the student section is and when you get to the game you can usually walk around and get some decent pictures of players warming up and on the sidelines as well. But action shots during the game will be tough. I'm guessing PSU?

You guessed right!

Also, I seriously doubt my photos will be for sale anytime soon, judging by the not-so-wonderful comments I've gotten on some of my C&C here already...I have a lot of work to do.

Most reactions

Back