Tips for shooting baby shower?

GorillaJJitsu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It’s indoor and outdoor. I have a better understanding of outdoor with my camera. I own A 6d Mark ii and have a 24-105 F4 (too dark for inside), a 50mm f1.8, and an 85mm 1.8.

as for focus i know I’m going to be taking pics of a lot of women huddled for a group photo. Indoor and out door what would you set your aperture for a lot of people?

You guys are amazing and always so supportive! Looking forward to the tips!

Make sure the water's warm, but not too ho.... Ohhhhhhhh, that kind of shower. You need to set your aperture to what's appropriate for the scene. Either download and install a DoF calculator on your smartphone if you have one, or print off a set of DoF tables and bring a measuring tape so that you can actually calculate the appropriate DoF for the scene. The 6D is a relatively capable camera, and I would think you can push the ISO enough to get some f4 images; do you not own or can you not borrow a speedlight? That's what would really make the difference, especially if you can bounce it.

Make sure the water's warm, but not too ho.... Ohhhhhhhh, that kind of shower. You need to set your aperture to what's appropriate for the scene. Either download and install a DoF calculator on your smartphone if you have one, or print off a set of DoF tables and bring a measuring tape so that you can actually calculate the appropriate DoF for the scene. The 6D is a relatively capable camera, and I would think you can push the ISO enough to get some f4 images; do you not own or can you not borrow a speedlight? That's what would really make the difference, especially if you can bounce it.[/QUOTE

haha love the humor! I don’t have any of that stuff. Just a camera and lenses :(

Make sure the water's warm, but not too ho.... Ohhhhhhhh, that kind of shower. You need to set your aperture to what's appropriate for the scene. Either download and install a DoF calculator on your smartphone if you have one, or print off a set of DoF tables and bring a measuring tape so that you can actually calculate the appropriate DoF for the scene. The 6D is a relatively capable camera, and I would think you can push the ISO enough to get some f4 images; do you not own or can you not borrow a speedlight? That's what would really make the difference, especially if you can bounce it.[/QUOTE

haha love the humor! I don’t have any of that stuff. Just a camera and lenses :(
Okay... no big deal. Go to the calculator here and work out DoF for your expected shooting distances, say, 5 - 25' and write them down on a piece of paper. Get a dollar-store tape-measure and take that with you. That covers the aperture issue. As for light... I think you'll likely be okay, but you might have to boost the ISO a bit.

Okay... no big deal. Go to the calculator here and work out DoF for your expected shooting distances, say, 5 - 25' and write them down on a piece of paper. Get a dollar-store tape-measure and take that with you. That covers the aperture issue. As for light... I think you'll likely be okay, but you might have to boost the ISO a bit.

you’re awesome man thank you so much! I downloaded a DOF calculator app. Although. It’s tricky haha. Never used one but I’m gonna try!

I will focus on indoor.

I have all three of those lenses and that body. I would push the ISO, as someone suggested and use the 85 f 1.8. I have shot as high as 12800 with good results but take few test shots on site to see what looks good to you. Remember the 85 is not image stabilized so the noise you get with a higher ISO may be the price you pay for reduced camera shake. Honestly, I think it is photographers who worry more about noise than the audience.

I absolutely love the 85 for portraits but you will need to shoot it near wide open if there is little ambient light which means your depth of field will be razor thin. So, shoot individuals as opposed to group shots. Also, if you really push the ISO, try to compose shots that require little, if any, cropping in post.

The 24-105 does have IS so at f 4 and a short focal length you might use it for group shots but the subjects will need to be motionless and in the same plane even at f 4 the DOF will be very thin and the shutter speed will be fairly slow.

The other advantage to the 85 is you can stay a little farther away. I never use it but the 6D m II has a quiet mode which would help you to be less intrusive.

Just remember that your focus point will be sharp and then the subject with get soft very quickly. Like, the nose will be sharp and the eyes will be soft.

These were shot in November, inside a space without a lot of light but we did make sure the shades were up on two sides. It was 2pm and I was just goofing around with family. 6D Mark II and 85 f 1.8 @ f 2.8/2.0 and ISO between 1250 and 5000. Shutter was in the 500 to 640 range.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s some shots i got today

Attachments

• B5F7FDEA-4D3C-4CE3-8D96-D9A53C25FD03.jpeg
    B5F7FDEA-4D3C-4CE3-8D96-D9A53C25FD03.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 968D7478-ADBF-4C15-BC27-1ECCC2C0AF2C.jpeg