Tips for shooting young toddlers.....like 18months

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a friend who wanted some shots of her daughter Emma done. Emma is 18 months walks well, but stares down to walk. They only had time to do it at 9AM so my light was pretty harsh already. So I thought I might have captured a few decent pics in the 100's I took and honestly I did NOT!! I'm pretty bummed about it. Pretty much all the pics that are decent of her walking away or staring out into the lake etc etc. The rest of the pics shes looking down. I found her to be hard to photograph b/c she wouldn't really stand and smile....which i'm no dummie its hard with that age. Even just the fun random moments that could've been a cute picture did not come out well. I was croutched down and laying on the ground for some of them but just didn't get anything good :( pretty bummed about it actually.

I'm pretty much just looking for some ideas on how to interact with her more to get her to look at me more?? Any poses ideas?

I'm gonna google some things right now but I figured I'd look to you guys too thanks!

My experience with children is limited, but I have found that it's usually best to let the parents do the interacting and just be ready to snap. Try having the parent behind you and doing whatever will attact the child's attention and [hopefully] make her smile. Infants are much like pets; you do your best and get what you can, but there are no guarentees.

Wear a funny hat, get a a red balloon, sing some nursery rhymes together with mom.:sexywink:
Let little Emma see that the 3 of you are truly having fun.
I bet you'll capture her angelic smile!

I try to talk to them and ask them questions it holds their attention and engages them. Kids warm up to me really fast that way too I have found. I know at 18months she prob cant say much but she should still pay attention a little.

Bubbles, lots of bubbles.

Sometimes I let them snap a pic of me while I hold the camera. It gets them interested in you and makes them look at you more.

Biggest most important thing...PATIENCE! And lots of it!

yea I majored in education and worked with kids :( I've always had a knack for them but gosh yesterday was just really hard!! I'm gonna buy some things that will get the kids to give some attention to me. I read squeakie toys and god knows I have bubbles for my 2 yr old! Great ideas guys thank you!! I'm gonna invite them over for dinner one night. I have an AWESOME yard and trails and bridges in my back yard and lots of shade and apple trees and kids toys so I should be able to get something better then I HOPE!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back