Tips on newborn photography

minniemouse22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be doing some newborn photography. I will be taking advantage of the natural light coming through the window (I have a speed light, but I'd like to avoid using it). What are your suggestions? Shoot wide or somewhere in the middle? Any other pointers would be great. Thanks in advance!

Also, any tips on cleaning up those cloudy newborn eyes? During my most recent session baby had her eyes open the whole time.

Last edited:
Few tips:

1. Heat. There is nothing that will wake a newborn up faster than stripping them down in a cold room and laying them on a hard surface. I keep the heater on in my studio at 80 degrees and make sure it’s on for 30 minutes before arrival. But that’s simply not enough. Nothing will get a newborn to fall asleep faster than having a warm air blow across their naked bums so I keep a space heater on a table right next to my beanbag, basket, etc.
  2. White noise. Also on the table next to the space heater. Got to have it. No one likes to be awakened by random noises and remember that new baby just came out of a place that was constantly the same decimal as a freight train. I have two words that will change your newborn photography forever. HAIR DRYER. Make sure it has a cool cycle though so you aren’t burning it out running it for hours. It will keep them asleep.
  3. Feed. I let my newborns nurse whenever they start to wiggle. Don’t let them get mad or wake up. If they start moving just give them over to mom. I also always give them over for a quick nurse during each set/blanket change.
  4. Relax and relax the baby. When I first started I had several newborns I couldn’t get to sleep. Looking back I know it’s because they could sense my nervousness. Once I was totally confident in myself it seemed like miraculously all my babies slept through the whole session. I also have a secret weapon to relax them that I call “ the vibrate”. If they start to wiggle at all I quickly place one hand on the head and another on the babies bum and lightly vibrate their body. It may sound silly but it seriously rocks them to a deep slumber every time!

thank you for the tips! The last two newborn sessions went well. Not perfect. But I got a few good shots. Both babies were a little older than I'd like. 8 days and 14 days. The oldest didn't sleep a wink and was very squirmy. But the 8 day old fell asleep after about an hour. Hopefully I continue to get better. Thanks again!

Get a 5 in 1 reflector to help wrap light around the baby.

don't avoid the speedlight. its your best friend. get a good softbox and use the speedlight. or try bouncing it off the ceiling. you will have much better control of the lighting, and it will be a softer light. you mentioned recent sessions, so this is not your first. how did they go? did you shoot wide or somewhere in the middle? how did you feel about the results? how did the client feel about the results?

and my #1 rule...If you drop the baby, fake a seizure.

I did use a speed light. But not 100% of the time. Mostly natural light from the window and with the help of my 5 in 1 reflector. I shot as wide as my lens could go. 1.8. It was good and bad. Some shots needed a 5.6 to get a better focus and I did have trouble getting the focus just right on some of my shots. Some focused on baby girls hair bow rather than her eyes. I might do manual focus next time. So far my clients loved their preview. I think they were worried with their squirmy baby but I got this.

The only tip you need is : DON'T DROP THE BABY!
The rest is patience and don't be afraid to try new angles.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back