Tips, please - photographing newborns

Sammie_Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No, I'm not going to go all pro overnight and start charging. lol My cousin had a beautiful baby girl at 5 o'clock this morning. They're going to be in the hospital a few days and I'd like to get some halfway decent shots for her to hand out at Christmas dinner. These are NOT her official newborn shots - I bought her a package at a portrait studio for her baby shower gift. It's just going to be a few weeks before she can get to the studio, between their hospital stay and the holidays. I just want to have some fun and give her some nice photos. What can I do to get the best photos with my limited gear (D3000 and kit lenses - both 18-55 and 55-200)?? What should I bring to make the background/poses look pleasing to the eye? Thanks in advance!

This is ALL about lighting. Ideally, I would suggest two speedlights and soft-boxes with extra diffusion material, but I'm going to guess that you don't have access to that. So, spend a few minutes reading your camera's manual, and figure out how to put your pop-up flash into manual, and then find a diffuser (tissue-paper, Tupper-ware, anything translucent really) and set up a baby-size model and practice adjust your flash 'til you get a decent, glare-free exposure. As far as backgrounds, a plain medium or darker coloured wall is always good. As far as lenses go, try both, experiementing with large and small apertures and see what seems to work on your dummy. Good luck.

Do you have a speedlight? I'd take it and both of your lenses. Closeups at your widest aperture will give you the best shallow depth of field. bounce the speedlight off the Ceiling above and behind you to one side or the other.

No, I don't have a speedlight. I just have my camera and those 2 lenses. But thanks for all of the tips!

Uh, can you get your hands on a speedlight? You are going to need one pretty badly in a hospital room. Lighting is HORRIFIC for photography. Great for that calming atmosphere. You are going to need flash no matter what you do with your lenses. Beg? borrow? Steal? Anyone near you?

Did I miss something? I didn't get that these were going to be done in the hospital. If so, that will add a whole 'nother degree of complexity simply from the gawd-awful lighting and lack of decent backgrounds. I agree with MLeek; a speedlight would REALLY help, BUT, if you can't borrow, beg or rent one, you can do a decent job with the pop-up, if you spend some time practicing and getting to know it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back